What is this thing?? Cocoon??

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

What is this thing?? Cocoon??

Post by JaneG »

While trimming the shrubs out front we found a couple of these pods. I think they are a cocoon of some sort, they are dry and very light. They are about an inch to an inch-and-a-half in diameter.

Any ideas on what might be inside? We usually have praying mantis in those bushes so I'm wondering if that's what it is?

I googled praying mantis and it looks like it might possibly be. Anyone have experience with these cocoons? According to Google people buy praying mantis cocoons and let them hatch in the garden. If the consensus is praying mantis then I guess I'll put the cocoon back in the bushes.

Thanks!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I think it's a praying mantis egg. here is a pic of mine. I have several of them.
This one looks kinda like something came out of it already!
I took this pic the other day.
Attachments
egg mgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

When I was a kid my brother found one of them in early spring and put it in his room. The next morning it had hatched. We had preying mantisis everywhere.
My Dad had us catch them all and put them outside.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply