Raccoon relocation and cleanup

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Raccoon relocation and cleanup

Post by lazygardner »

Last night my family and I live trapped a Momma raccoon in our attic. DD climbed up there and carefully placed the four babies in a padded box. The babies were so cute, barely furred and their eyes still closed. Momma was very well behaved and really quite calm, considering her situation. Still, somehow she must have gotten a cut on the livetrap, because she bled on the emergency blanket we used to cover my car seats. I couldn't see where she was hurt and when we let her out of the cage, she showed no signs of injury. She didn't try to bite us or even hiss or growl at us. We released them at a local state park near the boat launch, where she would have access to water, forest shelter, and (if needed) garbage cans. :lol: Hopefully she will find plenty of frogs and other healthier snacks there. Anyway, I know that raccoons can carry quite a few rather serious diseases that humans can contract. We were very careful to use gloves and throw away the emergency blanket, box and gloves when we were done and to wash up well afterwards. However, Momma raccoon did get some blood on my car seat. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to clean this up??? I also have to clean the live trap before I try to use it to capture a stray kitty living under my neighbor's porch. (kitty is a regular tuxedo cat, but with a ringed grey and black tail.)
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
impatience

Post by impatience »

Lazygardener, you are a gem. And you are getting good karma points for your gentle acts. I applaud you.

As for the blood??? I found this with a google search. I was thinking that I heard that a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide would work, anyway.......Hydrogen peroxide is the absolute best for removing blood stains. The fresher the easier of course, but even dried blood comes out with a little effort. The hydrogen peroxide seems to do no damage to any fabric I've tried it on."

Another suggestion from Wanda is to use Adolph's unseasoned meat tenderizer. Rinse in cold water, then sprinkle on the tenderizer and let sit for awhile and rinse again. Good luck on this.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thanks Imp! The peroxide would probably also kill most of the diseases raccoons carry too. :D
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

When we relocating, we were told (can't remember by who) to bleach well teh cage and dishes, as they are carriers of a bug (cant' remember if it was a worm type or what) that can live in the soil (for years I was told) where their feces were and such also. Your own animals as well as this other cat then come in contact and get it.

We poured bleach in the area where the cage sat and used a 20% bleach to spray out the cage after washing it.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thanks Jane! I will bleach the cage well. I think the bug you are thinking of is a type of roundworm and their eggs. From what I read last night, these eggs live for years. If a human ingests them they hatch and travel to the brain and cause severe neurological damage. I found a lot of info on the diseases you can get from raccoons, but very little on how to clean up to prevent the diseases. In fact, I think I read that it takes the heat of an open flame to kill the roundworm eggs. DH said I should buy a blowtorch, but I really like the bleach and peroxide better!!!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, check with a vet or other worm person then, b/c round worm sounds correct, but I didn't realize we could get them! UCK!

I was more concerned b/c our animals sniffing around where they'd been since the dogs seem to like rabbits doo-doos! :(

But bleach was what we were told and thus far no problems :)

I'll tell you though, the place that took them (had deer/fawn, geese, and other birds, cyotes <sp?>, and you name it!) They had fawn in cages in the house and others that I couldn't have lived with, but hey. Glad someone will fix up and relocate, as the 3 raccoons we (or our twins tried herding home) wouldn't have made it b/c mom had been killed or something and never returned. Here's a pic of them after they got baths the first day. :)
Attachments
raccoons 3.jpg
They loved to climb. Guess this is how they end up in attics!
They loved to climb. Guess this is how they end up in attics!
All 3 were adorable, but one was very aggressive and one very passive.
All 3 were adorable, but one was very aggressive and one very passive.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

gravity means nothing to these unique creatures
:lol: :lol: :lol:
janet

Post by janet »

Raccoons can transfer rabies, distemper and parvo to dogs, roundworm and rabies to humans, don't remember the dangers to cats besides rabies (all of the above can be fatal). I would suggest calling the nearest licensed wildlife rehabilitator (Michigan Humane or DNR can give you names if you can't find one...I only know those in K'zoo County) to get suggestions on clean-up solutions. They'd be the ones that know the most and would be most willing to spend time answering your questions. Bleach is not strong enough for many things...worm eggs especially. Good luck to you.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

You're lucky if you have helpful dnr in your area janet, b/c they've been absolutely useless to us every time we've had a reason to call. Same with our humane society. They all outdated names and numbers for people who would relocate. I must have made 20 calls to find someone finally that rehabilitates and then had to travel 90 miles to take them there. Don't regret the hassle, but seemed to us also that we should have been able to rely our locals to help. :( Police, many vets, human, dnr, local extension unit. No one had info. And the web info was outdated too for michigan. Pretty sad.
janet

Post by janet »

Well, I guess many years on the humane society board, lots of 4-H involvement and relatives in the DNR are worth something, eh? (All of that was in SW Michigan, BTW). From the K'zoo Nature Center website (http://www.naturecenter.org/):
"As of August 29th, 2003, the Kalamazoo Nature Center will serve as a referral service for injured and orphaned animals. If you have an animal that needs assistance, please refer to the following numbers:

Plainwell DNR Office – 269-685-6851 (Mon-Fri)
Poaching Hotline – 1-800-292-7800 (Sat-Sun)

These organizations will be able to give you the contact information for the appropriate licensed wildlife rehabilitator in the area."

The "lack of cooperation" is generally because the state does not want the average citizen to relocate wildlife...for many very good reasons. Sorry you had such a bad time with it. :???:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thanks for the extra info Janet. I think I'll give a call, just to see if they suggest anything else. I think the roundworm eggs will simply vaccuum up. Then I just need to kill any bacteria and viruses in the blood. Hopefully, the peroxide will do that.

Jane I also understand your frustration. one or two years ago I tried to find a rehabilitator for some baby wood ducks. Once the DNR people finished threatening me with arrest, I finally got the name of a rehaber in my area. I just don't have the info any more, or I would call her again.
New Topic Post Reply