Poor baby- Bad Mama

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Toadlover

Poor baby- Bad Mama

Post by Toadlover »

I don't know what to do with this one. We had a coon have a litter up the tree by our front porch. This weekend she took off and moved them and left this poor little guy behind. He has been spending his days just curled up waiting and comes down occasionally to nibble on the cat food left out on the porch.
What should I do? We don't care for the big coons because they get into our garden and one or two have broken into our pheasant run in the past. But on the other hand we try to co-exist with our wild neighbors. I just wish his mother would learn to count noses and realize he got left behind! :evil:
Attachments
babycoon.jpg
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

There may be something wrong with him. Animals often instinctively know when a baby has a problem and will cease to care for it.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Awwww, such a cutie.

I found a Website for Wildlife rescue. In Burnsville, MN. I don't know if that is close, but they have an email to ask about other sites.

http://www.wildlifecare.org/listminneso ... #MINNESOTA
Snow

Post by Snow »

A lot of rescuers will not take raccoons. Cant very well let that little guy starve to death though. Call around and see if you can find a rescuer who WILL help that little one.
~*Snow*~
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Coons can carry a multitude of diseases that can be transferred to our furkids. JMHO, but there are way to many to worry about a wild rescue group. These organizations do serve a porpose, but often, all they are doing is keeping a possible unhealthy animal in the gene pool. I don't mean to sound harsh, but mother nature often knows more than we do.
Toadlover

Post by Toadlover »

Thanks OED, I needed to be reminded of that. I have heard about them carrying parvo and dormant rabies. Since we have our pointer and malamute living in the house with us we are terribly attached and wouldn't want them getting ill. My sister has a live trap I could borrow. Maybe I'll just move him away from the house a ways.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

We were told they are on their own at 8 weeks or so, and he's looking pretty good size, so might already be on his own and living close to that food source. Perhaps putting the food where he can't get to it, would help?

One of the twins rounded up a set of 3 one year and tried to corral them to the back stoop! :eek: We did take them to a relocater about 90 minutes from here. BELIEVE when I say to be careful. Those things nearly bit through heavy leather gloves when we transferred them for transporting.

They have teeth and nails that don't quit. I don't remember what the type of worm or whatever it was at the time we were told they can carry (or do carry) that can live in the soil where they defecate for years also! :eek: So we bleached the area they were kept overnight after we took them away and the cage when we brought it back home.

Good luck finding someone to take him. I can't imagine letting something die so close to home either :( Sad either way for it.

These pics are taken after they were bathed down with a warm water rinse from spilling their food and such all over themselves trying to keep from being transferred :(
Attachments
This one almost appeared tame as the others worked on their escape plans to chew threw the wires!
This one almost appeared tame as the others worked on their escape plans to chew threw the wires!
They have great climbing skills with those long claws & teeth!
They have great climbing skills with those long claws & teeth!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply