Baby Robin?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

pretends_to_garden

Baby Robin?

Post by pretends_to_garden »

I was wandering around in the back yard, was looking at the tomato plants, happened to look up, and there he was, sitting on my tomato cage! :eek: Kind of startled me! My first thought was to get the kids, my second thought was "grab the camera!"

By the time I got back out there he was sitting on the fence. A little later he was on the ground. Hope nothing happens to him :( . We have a lot of cats that run the neighborhood; raccoons don't eat baby birds do they?

Theresa
Attachments
baby robin 2.JPG
baby robin.JPG
Snow

Post by Snow »

Baby robins leave the nest before they can fly. The parents will eventually "urge" them into some low growth for cover, or into the edge of the woodlands, until the survivors are able to fly and learn to find food for themselves (with the help of Dad). It's always best to leave them be unless you see they are in immediate danger. He's wicked cute :wink:
~*Snow*~
pretends_to_garden

Yes, dad was nearby, and they were "talking" back and forth. Such a sweet little thing to let me get so close; so we just took pictures and left. Didn't want to scare it any more than it probably already was.
Snow

Post by Snow »

You had a special "gift" - glad you got to get a couple of pictures :wink:
~*Snow*~
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh how sweet!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Awww, he's darling! :P
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh how cute!! :D

Thanks!! :D
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmmm.......I'm not so sure your little fella is a baby robin!

Every robin fledgling I've ever seen has a speckled little breast......and this picture just doesn't look like a robin!

I found what I think it is.....a baby oriole! I have a pair that returns every year.....I've seen little fellas like the one you found in the back yard being fed by the colorful parents.....take a look here and see what you think!

http://www.illinoisraptorcenter.org/oriole.html

Hope this helps!.......p :wink:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Awww, how adorable, Theresa! Great pics. :cool:

I looked at the pics earlier and never got back to post. I wondered why it didn't have speckles. I have never seen a baby robin without speckles. Thanks for solving the mystery, petal*pusher.
:D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

What great pictures! He really is a cutie! :D :D
pretends_to_garden

Ya know, I was not quite sure that he was a baby robin, that is why I put the question mark after it. But we have a whole lot of robins around, among other birds, but I have never seen an oriole around here, course tho on the other hand, I have never put food out for the orioles, I only put out sunflower seed and thistle (nyjer)?
But whatever he is, I tought he was too cute, specially since he still had some of that downy stuff sticking out!
Theresa
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

My oriole pair have returned 3 years now! They visit my hummingbird feeders, and often get chased away by those daring little hummers!

I put an oriole feeder out.....and the hummers like it! Who-do-thunk!!??.....p :wink:
New Topic Post Reply