Pesky Deer

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

bobbo

Pesky Deer

Post by bobbo »

Thumper was the real star in Bambi, and Bambis mom was the one that got it. I really have no use for a deer, if sitting in a tree with a bow or gun is your thing, no problem there either. I have some guys that hunt this place each year. They do a good job, especially by not showing up with their 14 best friends on opening day. Anyway every time I see a road kill I think they should lengthen the season 3 days or a month. It's a wonder given the influence the insurance companies have, and the cost of fixing those cars that there's a deer in Kentucky! I had my stargazers ate night before last, I planned to string some electric fence, and damned if they didn't eat the rest of those and most of the leaves, last night. The electric fence is up now, I have it around all the daylilies and most hosta here, this was a bed very close to the house and had been left alone for the most part. I don't get it, there are plenty of things for them to eat, I guess hosta and stargazers must be tasty, if you are a deer.

My hunting guys have only been taking "Trophy Deer" but they know that we are going to have a massacre up here this season. Did I say I have no use for deer? Seriously, if the Army on Fort Knox hunted them with Blackhawk or Cobra Helicopters it wouldn't bother me a bit.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

They DO taste good. :eek:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Sorry you're having deer trouble. I don't mind hunting as long as they end up eating what they kill. Don't carry for strictly trophy hunting. We've got a lot of deer here too, but fortunately I've not had trouble with them. They generally stay in the wooded area and graze in the fields.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply