Disturbing news from Hilton Pond

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Disturbing news from Hilton Pond

Post by oldcoot »

For a really disturbing report for those of us who live in the SE, visit HTTP:/ Hilton Pond.Org. )If the address isn't right fiddle with it-it's close)

We have a National Humingbird Refuge not to far from here that bands and records for other banders the numbers of the birds they band or catch each week. They have set up an international internet listing place so they can each keep track of where they go. They send out a regular newsletter about the birds they see in their preserves, and how many they band each week. This week's report from Hilton P:ondx was surely discouraging. Seems they have only captured and banded 1/3 of the Ruby throats they usually band by now.Report goes on further to say that this is true for all the banders all over the S.E. US. Attribute it to the Hurricanes last fall disturbing the Mirgation patterns and in direct reduction. Patterns elsewhere in the us, seem to be normal or above.. SEND THEM BACK DOWN HRE. O.C. has apparently only 1 pair and now one juvenile coming to his feeders, and Joy keeps them refilled daily..

A disturbed Old COot......Named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Just got in there, you just need to take the 'space' out between hillton and pond and it works fine. Here's the http://www.hiltonpond.org

Thanks John
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot

I KNW I was close

Post by oldcoot »

Said the Old Coot named John. Keep your URL and visit often or sign up for your own FREE weekly newsletter. Really has some interesting thing that happen out there..Bill Hilton the Owner, was a Biology Teacher in the Public Schools and a good one too OC hears.Got so interested in doing slide shows to kids and real live nature shows, like his pet python he used to take around to show the kids, that when his daddy died and left the farm to him, he chose not to farm it but to turn the whole thing into a nature preserve in its natural environment. Got a bunch of grants and started banding birds in earnest - full time..Really has grown some pretty tress. Has a pond for Ducks, Turtles and fish (won't let you fish there, it for the water birds.)..

Glad you enjoyed it.......

john
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Always nice to know the story behind the man, thanks OC :)
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmmm....interesting. Wonder if this may be the reason my hummingbird population is way down too....??....p :wink:
oldcoot

Your are pretty far north

Post by oldcoot »

but them I don't know their spring migration patterns, maybe.....John
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

It seemed like when my hummers came back this year (late), there wern't as many. But, now that the young are out and about, the numbers have increased quite significantly. And boy, oh, boy, do they love the feeders I have out. They are emptied every other day by those hungry babies. So much fun to watch them all interacting. CHR
oldcoot

Sure hope I get some more

Post by oldcoot »

Maybe they will pass through this way when they start migration..It hard to believe a little 2 oz bird, can fly to Canada and then back to Mexico every year. Maybe that is why so many don't make it...John
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Don't the monarchs make a similar trip?
oldcoot

I believed that they do

Post by oldcoot »

and that is even MORE amazing. God's wonderfull little creatures...John
mommatina

Post by mommatina »

I too have noticed a lot less hummers this year...how sad, I love the little creatures.. and they are truly one of God's amazing birds...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
oldcoot

More disturbing news

Post by oldcoot »

Check it all on the above URL, but basically it says that the number of Carolina Wrens are way down this year too.
O.C. is sure glad he has several to wake HIM up every morning.. SINGING THEIR LITTLE HEARTS OUT !!!!

John
oldcoot

More bad new from ilton Pond.

Post by oldcoot »

Seems that all the news is bad this summer. the West Nile Virus is now threatning the Blue Jay Population, as they are finding their number are decreasing due to this....Sure hope some come back down this way this fall. O.C. has only seen one all Summer and he will be glad when it gets cold enough to put out P-Nut butter so his Woodies will come back. Put some out one morning recently, not thinking of the heat, and when the temp reached 102* that day, it had ALL soaked down into the deck rail. The Squirrels did get the peanuts out of it though.

That Old Coot named John
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

There hasn't been as much talk of West Nile Virus this year as in previous years around here. I've also noticed that there seems to be an abundance of Blue Jays. Beautiful birds, but they sure can be nasty and pushy. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot

O.C. is sure glad to hear that

Post by oldcoot »

Maybe some will come bsck down here this fall. O.C. sure hopes so..

John
New Topic Post Reply