Goldfinches....

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Goldfinches....

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I was finally able to get pics of the goldfinches! I told ya they were out there. :lol:

I had picked up two of thosefinch bags u guys were talking about this winter and a big bag of niger food and I hung them up but I was just too slow to get a pic.

Today son was over here and he was able to get a pic for me.

Debbie
Attachments
goldfinches July 31 2005.jpg
goldfinches July 31 2005.jpg (16.37 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
goldfinch upside down July 31 2005.jpg
goldfinch upside down July 31 2005.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Cool! I still haven't seen any in my garden. Keep the pictures coming!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Awww... don't ya just love these little guys! :P
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

They are the prettiest birds O.C. believes

Post by oldcoot »

Really pretty pictures and really pretty birds. They rank swith O.C. right next to Cardinals. Saw my first Gold Finch EARLY this morning on the "sack". Hope this siignals a return. Was 25* cooler today than it has been. John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

How did I miss this....

I am a finch lover, too...I also have the sack.....Good shot Debbie.....Thanks for sharing it!! :D
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Lucy, they love that sack! And I love that sack too! Am so glad u guys were talking about them as I had never heard about them before. I have refilled it once already and will soon have to refill it again. *G* Also had to refill the sunflower feeders too, but I think the chippies are getting those,,,,,no one is eating the suet yet though.

Debbie

Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Debbie, I love your pics. I think Goldfinches are one of the most cheerful birds at feeders. I just love hearing them talk to each other as they eat off my mature sunflowers on a warm, sunny September day. What a comfort that is.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Lionitus
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Debbie, several years we've kept goldfinch all winter with those feeders. They'll lose their pretty yellow and be a very dusty brown (almost not identifiable) but they'll stay most likely. Just make sure if you continue to feed them past this month, you'll need to assist their feedings all winter. Especially when the snow covers the seed crops they'd live on if you get hit like we do :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply