Tiny White Bugs

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Tiny White Bugs

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay, about a week ago or so, I noticed on my brugs that there were these tiny whit bugs, that if you moved a leaf they scattered.....Didn't look like they ate the leaf or anything, cause all the leaves look good.....seemed they stayed on the underneath....I asked Karma what to do, and she said spray, which I did....But now today, I am out weeding, and I noticed that they were in other places.....Like if I moved plants to get to weeds, these durn white bugs scattered......What are they, and do I need to spray something on the whole bed? I don't want to do that with all the hummers and bees....but what the heck are they and what do they do? I never noticed them before....

Thanks!!! :D
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Boy-o-Boy Lucy.....it sure sounds like white fly to me. :o

We have to keep a look out for these tiny insects in the school greenhouses.....especially with our poinsettia crop!

They are pure white, white, white.....and disperse quickly whenever any foilage they are perched under is moved. You need to get them taken care of pretty quickly...they multiply F-A-S-T!!

Here's some info that may be helpful to you.....p :wink:
http://mt.essortment.com/howtogetridw_rtwm.htm
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yep, same thing Karma said they were, but I kinda freaked a little when I saw them elsewhere besides the brugs....Man, I have never had this bug before....Karma said they probably went elsewhere when I sprayed the Brugs.....

Thanks you so much for that link!.....I did a Google also, on the Encarsia Formosa and learned something....What I am going to do first, is try to find the Sticky Aphid/Whitefly traps here locally.....I'll call around before I leave the parking lot at work.....took some numbers tonight....:lol: So after work, I'll be doing that tomorrow....I think that would be the safest way....I really don't want to spray all around...I have way too many butterflies/hummers/bees and the like.....If I can't find them, guess I will have to order them.....

Thanks again petal*pusher!! :D
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

LG, Spraying with Insecticidal Soap is another non-toxic alternative. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I've never heard of them being a problem outside. Whenever you hear about them being a problem, it is always in a greenhouse setting. *unusual*
Good luck with them.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Me either Joanna.....

Well, I called all over creation including Stan at the Purdue extention....I found the sticky traps in the Crown Point feed store.....

Thanks!
New Topic Post Reply