Hummingbird Nest Pictures

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hummingbird Nest Pictures

Post by Chris_W »

For the first time ever we found a hummingbird nest this year. The babies flew the coop before I got the pictures, though. When we noticed it there were two babies. We watched them practice flapping their wings for a while and about a week later they were gone. Mama hasn't been around any longer either. This is in a walnut tree in the hosta growing area.

Enjoy!

Chris
Attachments
hummernest2.jpg
hummernest1.jpg
Snow

Post by Snow »

Impressive job in spotting that one, Chris! I have never come across one yet - and I have tried. Cool pix 8-)
~*Snow*~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Look at that tiny little thing! How cool for you to have hummingbirds nesting on your property. :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:cool: :cool: Great shot with the walnut showing the size of the nest.
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

We have probably 10-15 hummers around at this time, most of them youth, but I have never ever been able to locate any nests. They are always flying in and out of the ornamental crabapple tree in the front yard because of its denseness. They can hide there easily. And they are all over the yard, so probably close by are their nesting places. It is so tiny that I might not recognize it anyway. Nice picture Chris.
CHAR
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Great pics, Chris! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Your pic shows the nest even better than seeing it in person Chris. Nice job! The first thing that came to mind was what OED said about the size comparison between the nut and the nest.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow!! That is so cool!! I have more hummers this year, than I think I have ever had, but I have never seen a nest... Very cool shots!! Thanks so much for sharing them!! :D
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Way :cool:
I'm sure I wouldn't have recognized that in a tree if I'd seen it. I'd have thought it was a fungus or sorts! Very cool!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Interesting! I've never seen the nest, but have a ton of little ones right now.....fighting over the feeders that I have to keep refilling....and refilling....and refilling!......p :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You sure do have sharp eyes to pick that up , Chris! Very :cool: !
:D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Way to grow Chris

Post by oldcoot »

Your are to be congratulaed. They are so small, they have rarely been seen. Now you know what to keep an eye on next year. In fact Bill Hilton of Hiltons Pond who bands HB's for the Govt, said rercently he has never seen one at the pond with all the hummers they have there. He also said he feel there must be some because of all the juveniles they band and turn loose.

Congraulation on your find............John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply