What the Heck Are These??

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

What the Heck Are These??

Post by LucyGoose »

I bet I asked about these last year, but durned if I remember....What are these? Are they bad or good? Man, they are everywhere on my butterfly weed plants.....I have two, side by side, and one is in seed and the other one blooming....that's weird....I was gtting ready to dead head the one in seed and man, these bugs were everywhere....I even saw on on a rose bloom earlier....What am I supposed to do, you think?

Thanks a lot....air-head Lucy!
Attachments
s 308.jpg
s 305.jpg
it's a bit windy, so it didn't focus good
it's a bit windy, so it didn't focus good
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Got me Lucy

Post by oldcoot »

But looks they were doing the same thing my Japanese beettles were ! (Ho-Ho-Ho)

John, that Old Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That tells me A LOT JOHN! :evil: ................... :lol: :wink:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Don't fret Ms. Goose. :D I think they are good bugs and won't really hurt your plants. :wink: I found them in DH's book. They are Pennsylvania Leather-wings. "Food: Adult eats pollen, nectar, and small insects. Larva devours grasshopper eggs, small caterpillars and beetles. Life Cycle: Eggs are deposited in soil or among ground litter. Fully grown larvae pupate in cells in the soil in spring, emerging as adults after warm weather. Several species native to the Great Plains are used for biological control of Corn Earworm (Heliothis zea) caterpillars.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks Pat! I did a Google of the name you gave me, and yep, they are good to have.....Boy, there are just zillions of them on those two plants! I promise next year I won't ask again....I bet I have asked about them a couple times.... :roll: I think it has sunk in now! Thanks again!
New Topic Post Reply