Hummers!!!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Hummers!!!

Post by PeggyC »

I've never had this many hummers... ever! :P I probably have 8 or 10 this year, all fighting over 2 feeders. Last night when I was taking these, they were actually flying about six inches from me and one actually came up and and flew in front of my face like he was checking out the camera and me. :lol: :cool:
Attachments
Hummer09-02-05-05.jpg
Hummer09-02-05-06.jpg
Hummer09-02-05-07.jpg
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Oh you're so lucky!! I was hoping that by keeping my cats in the house I'd start getting hummers but no luck so far. I've seen 2 in all the years I've lived in this house. I'd be over the moon if I had yours! :)
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

My feeders have been extra busy lately too! Must be gettin' ready for that long flight comin' up!

I have been filling all the feeders twice as often.....probably because they are also visited by the most ferocious looking HUGE black and white hornets also :o !

My hummers are so possesive, they won't let any of the other hummers get a drink when they're at the feeder.....it's amusing to see the antics!!......p :wink:
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

They are brave lil critters! I also have seen a few this year. And now I have this nice little couple that come to my feeder this year.
Great shots!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Peg, great shots, as always!!! :D

I too, have more than I normally do this year. They have been so much fun to watch more than ever.....My neighbor that lost his wife a couple months ago, came over 3 days ago, and just couldn't believe how many and how they would fly under the patio to look at you. One came right over his head like flying through and he ducked like something was going to hit him...It was so funny....He got a kick out of them.... :D

Thanks for sharing the pictures Peg!! :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Great, great pics, Peg. I have quite a bunch of hummers this year too. I don't put out feeders, but there's always something in bloom from the time they get here until the time they leave. Sadly, I think they are probably gathering for the trip south. I often have them peeking in the window at me as they visit the honeysuckle vine growing just outside the dining room. Friday a friend was having lunch here, and she looked out to see the hummingbird looking in at her. She was thrilled. They fly through my porch like they do your patio, LG. It's kind of a shock the first time one buzzes past you. Yesterday when I was having my coffee out on the porch, one came and landed on the viburnum and sat there looking around for quite a while. My camera was in the house. :(
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Peg, aren't Hummers fun? The pictures are wonderful. This is the first year I've had Hummers and I am finding them to be quite precocious little urchins! They often fly right up to within a few inches of my and hubby's heads to give us a look-over. I love watching them swoop and bob and weave around each other and the yard. My husband swears that J.K. Rowling of Harry Potter fame modeled the golden snitch after hummers. And my husband has perfected his immitation of the sound they make as they go whizzing by our heads in hot pursuit of each other.

Nature is so entertaining.
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

The other day my neighbor asked me if I'd been watching the hummingbirds. I told her I hadn't seen any and she said "they come up out of your ravine to feed at our feeder!" :eek: So I dug out my old feeder and filled it and hung it on my arbor. Today I was down there sitting in my swing and heard a tch tch tch sound and looked over and THERE IT WAS!! Whoo HOOO!! Tiny little brown guy and he landed on a tree and sat there for several minutes before taking off! I was so thrilled! :D
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:o :P Hey Pat, that's awesome news! I've had hummers stay as late as mid October so you could still have another month of watching hummers! :cool:

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Great pics, Peg! :cool: :cool: :cool:

We have one that pauses and hovers outside the patio door before taking off.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Annie

Post by Annie »

WOW :o

That last shot is perfect!!!!
Do ya mind if I save it? I got a new software program and I would love to play with that pic.
It's PERFECT, oh I said that didn't I? But it is!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Way to go PEG.

Post by oldcoot »

That is the BEST hummer picture OC has seen this year. Can he have your permission to down/load it and show to his little local nature group ? He will certainly give you credit for the picture......John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:oops: Thanks so much Annie and OC. Please feel free to use/show the picture.

Annie, here is the link to the larger picture:

http://RockinC.smugmug.com/photos/35030078-L.jpg

OC, here is the link to the medium picture like I posted above:

http://RockinC.smugmug.com/photos/35030078-M.jpg

PeggyC's Hosta List
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks!

~~Annie~~
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

Fantastic picture!!

I have had a lot of the little dive-bombers at my morning-gloried trellises this year, great to see. Some years I hardly see any.
You never know what the past will bring.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

GREAT PICS, PEG!!

I've sure noticed more than usual this year. We can sit on the deck under the honeysuckle arbor and they fly and flit about right over and around our heads. They don't seem to mind us watching them. We could watch for hours.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply