Have you ever heard of making hummer food this way?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Have you ever heard of making hummer food this way?

Post by LucyGoose »

A lady at work makes her hummer food this way....I have never heard of doing it like this and wondered if you guys have...

1 cup sugar
1 cup apple juice
2 cups water..

Just mix, not bringing to a boil or anything....

Thanks!
Snow

Post by Snow »

I would be really concerned about the apple juice going bad.
~*Snow*~
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

If she changesa it every day

Post by oldcoot »

it might be OK. Most folks around here just use sugar and water, no additives or coloring needed.

Speaking of hummers, almost ALL of my Salvia is a thing of the past, now that EVERYTHING is dried up. We are classified as being in a draught again. Fall leaves falling with NO color except brown. Those Humers loves those bright Red Salvias. They worked my pot almost as much as they work my feeders. They seem to like OC's Red Cannas too...Love thoe Hummers......About time for them to be heading south again pretty soon OC guesses. Will be ready for them NEXT year with more Salvia than THIS year.

That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
jay dee

hummer food

Post by jay dee »

Wow, 1 cup of sugar to that small amount of liquid. The poor hummer must be on a sugar buzz! If this old memory remembers, I think it is one cup of sugar to a gallon of water (will search for recipe later), no other additives, shake to dissolve sugar, refrigerate unused portion.

jay dee
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmmm.....I agree with Snow about that apple juice. I've never noticed any hummers gathering around the apples on or under the old apple tree.....do you think they even like apple juice??

Jay dee, my recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water....bring just to boiling, then let it cool before filling feeders.

Our hummers have been VERY busy! Such a treat it is to watch their antics!......p :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks guys!!

I know, I thought it sounded weird too...this is a women I work with that swears that she don't feed the orioles because they chase the hummers away......she TELLS customers this too.... :evil: and when we were both standing there with this customer, and she was telling the lady how to make the nectar, she was like *this is the way to do it* attitude.... :evil: I tried asking how she came about this recipe, and she said another customer told her and the hummers LOVE it......Okay, whatever.....I tried to tell that customer the 1-4 parts of sugar/water, and that I had never heard of this before......without sounding like a know it all, I didn't say I never had heard of it in my forum....:lol: (you know we know everything here at Hallson's...hehe)

Oh well, thanks again.....and I surely won't be using apple juice..... :D
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Y'know, I think "WE" as a group here at Hallson's Do know just about everything... about gardening and nature and such. I know I have gotten answers to nearly every question I have asked here. :o
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
jay dee

hummer food

Post by jay dee »

OK, checked the recipe and it is one cup of sugar to one quart of water but hubby always made enough to put in a gallon jug. He used warm water and never boiled it, it was straight from the tap.

jay dee
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

We sure dco, sayeth the Old Coot

Post by oldcoot »

I asked Joy, and she's the bird expert in our family, OC just takes pictures when they are around (none right now) and she agreed. 1 Cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and brings it to the boil.. She usually makes up a double batch at the time, let's it cool and places in it a half/gallon jug. Keeps it in the refer because it is so hot down here. Hope this helps Lucy..........That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
dhaven

Post by dhaven »

I've heard of several variations on this recipe, and all will, to some extent, attract hummers. This makes a super sweet mix, and if you use this or any of the other recipes that call for fruit juice, you will have to empty your feeders every night and carefully wash them. Then refill early the following morning. The other problem with this particular recipe is that it is an absolute magnet for wasps, and also attracts squirrels, who will chew up the feeder to get to the sweet liquid.
dhaven

Post by dhaven »

I've heard of several variations on this recipe, and all will, to some extent, attract hummers. This makes a super sweet mix, and if you use this or any of the other recipes that call for fruit juice, you will have to empty your feeders every night and carefully wash them. Then refill early the following morning. The other problem with this particular recipe is that it is an absolute magnet for wasps, and also attracts squirrels, who will chew up the feeder to get to the sweet liquid.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks All!! I know, and do the 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, it was the apple juice that she does.....dhaven, I doubt she cleans it every day....Joanna, isn't that the truth? WE know everything....:lol: Plus, I'm Windell's daughter, and I REALLY know everything....:lol: :lol: that's a joke around here, cause my dad thinks he knows everything......hehe

Thanks!!!!!!! :D
New Topic Post Reply