Woodpecker

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Doris_J

Woodpecker

Post by Doris_J »

What a cute guy! I'm not sure if he's Downy or Hairy, but what great coloring!
Attachments
woodpecker1.JPG
woodpecker.JPG
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

He's a pretty guy! I love your bird pictures Doris. I just can't seem to capture the flying critters very well. You must be very quiet and very patient! :lol:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The little round head looks like a downy. I can't see his beak but the downy's is light colored and the hairy's is longer and black. :wink:
Snow

Post by Snow »

Does look like a Downy! Great picture, Doris :wink:
~*Snow*~
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Love these little fellas! Looks like he's been pretty busy gnawing away at that suet block! Thanks for sharing......p :wink:
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

He's a cutie Doris! I agree that its a downy.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Seems liked everyone has said

Post by oldcoot »

exactly what OC was going to say. (Before I degress - GREAT Woodie shot.) OC believed that it is a Downy too. OC has the Hairy Woodpeckers in his trees and the beak come somewhere between the Downy and the Red Bellied Woodie

Question ?? Is that a suet feeder you are suing ?? I have a spare one of those feeders and will put suet in it if you tell him too ?? John .
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Yes, OC, I use those plain wire suet feeders all the time, and the birds love them. They don't like it when I get fancy on them with my feeders! I say, fill it up and use it! Let us know what you attract.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

O.C. definitely fill that thing up. I think they smell from miles away! :) Winter time, or in the shade is best though, as the sun can melt some of them and make a mess if it's not eaten quickly. Also they can go rancid, so watch that. I think this is where I got a recipe to do homemade stuff. Works great and I could make sure they were getting more than seed in it then for the winter feeders. Berries, nuts and the like. And several of the birds will eat it during the winter also :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Nice shots! It's always exciting to me when I spot the flash of red as a woodpecker arrives nearby. I so rarely get to see them.

Did spot one on the way to work one day, years ago. He was quite large, I'm unsure of species, and he had decided that a power pole in my neighborhood was the place to dig into. When we came home that evening there was an enormous cavity in the pole and a deep pile of shredings underneath it. The next day the power company came and replaced it all - it was quite precarious looking. I have alot of respect for their power now.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: I missed this...

Yep Doris.....Downey....I love them.....Thanks!!

Old Coot.......Get that thing up....... They have all kinds of suet now a days......I get the peanut ones in the summer that doesn't melt......then come winter I go back to the, I think they are called energy suet....they are the cheapest. Now the only thing is your squirrel's will try to get to them and they can eat them up in no time......They do have the suet already made with the pepper in it.....or I get what is called *Squirrel Away* at Wal-Mart......it's hot pepper the you can put in bird food or sprinkle it on your suet to keep them away.....after a few time's they quit going to it....Did you get that Coot? It's early.....:lol:

Thanks Doris for this picture's....:-)
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mommatina »

Great pic.. i love this time of year.. on a wintery day to put fresh feed out for the birds.. we always keep track of the birds .. always hope for something different each year...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
New Topic Post Reply