Keeping Fish Safe From Critters

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Florida Lady

Keeping Fish Safe From Critters

Post by Florida Lady »

Is there anyway to make a small fish pond critter proof? I live in the country and I am sure raccoon would just love it if I put a fish pond in my backyard....any ideas???
Zack

Fish Pond

Post by Zack »

On my last visit to the farm, i noticed tracks on the ice. Next day the ice melted and I noticed ripples in the pond. It was a mink, which I indroduced to a Henry 17cal. varmit gun. One varmit can wipe out a pond, especially if there are coi present. I have not experienced a racoon problem, but mink, otter and blue herons will settle right in to a human landscape. On top of the ground the problems are cyote, bob-cats and fox. The only advice I can give is a "good dog" and a varmit weapon.

cglenn
"Montani semper liberi"-SOS-Live Earth
Snow

Post by Snow »

If the pond is deep enough, with straight sides, and has plenty of cover in the form of plant leaves, etc. - that helps a bit. Our problem was always the great blue heron. Supposedly if you place a line of twine or rope (or wire) a foot high all the way around the perimeter of the pond, forcing them to step over it to get to the edge, that will discourage those big guys.
~*Snow*~
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Well I don't know about wild critters. Never had a prob with them but...........

Travis ate my fish out of my pond!!
I just noticed they started missing and he brought one in the house ewwww!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

EWWWW Travis, bad dog!!!

Annie is your hair turning grey yet? :lol: :lol:

I have no answer for this question but just had to butt in when I saw what Travis has been up to!

I would like to know the answer if there is one. I don't think Glens would work for me :o

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply