Bird id?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Bird id?

Post by caliloo »

Hey all!

I saw/heard a bird this morning that I've never encountered in my area an I am hoping someone may be able to help me id it. Of course, I didn;t have my camera handy :(

It was sort of a charcoal grey, tufted like a female cardinal or titmouse, but larger than either. When it was sitting on the branch it had sort of white "V" shapes on the lower back, presumably from the wings. The song was a very distinctive sort of trill, so it was definitely not a blue jay type call. It sounded like br-r-r-r be.

I know it is very difficult to even guess based on my description, but it was really quite different from anything I've seen here in eastern Pa.

Any guesses?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Sorry I can't help. :( Calling Snow!! Where are you? :lol:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Well, I'm not as good as Snow, but when you say "tufted" I think of the ones you named and Cedar Waxwing. There is also an Eastern PeeWee but it is smaller.

Anyway, I am thrilled to see a CWW. It is very rare for me to get a glimpse of one.

See the sight below.

http://www.christinevadai.com/CEWA4.jpg
Snow

Post by Snow »

Well, I'll start with the Eastern Kingbird - you can look and listen here:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/deta ... rPageNum=1

Then I would have you look at the Kingfisher:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/deta ... rPageNum=1

And the Great-Crested Flycatcher:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/deta ... rPageNum=5

Let me know if any of those help narrow it down.
~*Snow*~
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Well....

It definitely wasn't a Kingfisher. When I lived in Maine, I used to see them all the time and I would have recognized that one. THere wasn;t a white collar all the way around the neck.

It does seem likely that it is a Kingbird of some sort, but I think I need to look at all the varieties.
THanks for your help Snow!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Snow

Post by Snow »

My first thought was the kingbird. Their crest doesnt always show up - especially in pictures. They are insect eaters though - wonder (if it's him) what he's finding to eat?
~*Snow*~
Snow

Post by Snow »

Migration Info

The Eastern Kingbird is a conspicuous migrant, generally traveling by day in flocks of 10 to 60 individuals. The timing and rate of migration in spring coincide with the availability of fruit in Central America. Unlike most flycatchers, this species feeds primarily on fruit during both fall and spring migrations and during the winter. It is believed that most birds travel directly to the southern portion of the winter range (in central Brazil) until they find fruit-producing Yagrumo Macho trees. This tree is a pioneer species that favors disturbed sites and forest edges. Eastern Kingbirds lead a somewhat nomadic existence as they follow the fruiting of this species, gradually moving north into Central America. On their spring migration most birds follow the east coast of Mexico northward, then fan out across the eastern United States.
~*Snow*~
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Don't kingfishers and kingbirds migrate south for the winter? So I wouldn't think it was either one of those.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Snow

Post by Snow »

They sure do, Viktoria. I dont know how he would have survived.
~*Snow*~
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Well - interestingly enough, we have had an unusually warm winter. I think it confused a lot of the birds in this area.

For the first time that I can remember, we had robins here until the beginning of Feb. That is really late considering they are usually back around the first week in March.

I don't know for sure that I was a kingbird, but that looks like the closest of the ones I've looked at/listened to on the site that Snow posted.

If I narrow it down any further - or there are any more suggestions to look at - I will keep looking!

Thanks again!
Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Snow

Post by Snow »

Well, there is no such thing as never, in the birding world. Not that it's unusual, but I've had a robin in the perimeters of the yard all winter. It has been mild, for the most part (for us) - and they will stay in the swamps here (contrary to popular belief) although most migrate south. But this one I would see every time I'd walk down the drive, and that is a bit unusual to have happen the entire winter.
~*Snow*~
New Topic Post Reply