What?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

What?

Post by Ginger »

are these those grub looking things that are coming up out of the ground? I will try to get a pic to post, but each morning for the last several weeks, there have been little holes in the ground. I thought it was some sort of insect, but this morning I actually saw what was in the holes :eek:
There was a creme/yellow looking grub of some sort half in and half out of the hole. I found another one out of the hole and moving very slowly somewhere. They have a black sort of pointer on the end, it looks hard and like it might be a stinger or something. Anyone have any ideas? What do they turn into, and where are they going after they get out of the hole? I have looked at the trees to see if they climb up them, but have not seen any.

Ginger
Snow

Post by Snow »

Are they junebug (beetle) grubs?
~*Snow*~
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Junebugs start out as grubs? I will have to go and google and see what they look like. I took some pics this weekend but they turned out pretty blurry.

Ginger
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

That is it Snow! You are so smart :D All this time I have lived and dealt with June Bugs and never knew they started out life that way! Ugg, I do not like June bugs :eek: I think I am going to do some stomping when I get home!

Ginger
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

All beetles start out as grubs of some sort. Well, eggs first, then grubs, etc. June bugs are one of the most common. At least, one of the more noticable.
hostapazoola

Post by hostapazoola »

Ahhhhgg! :eek: Then I should of smushed all of the grubs that I dug up with the weeding I did last weekend!?! :o

I just tucked them back down into the ground for the robins! :???:

~Lori
~Lori~

Walk towards the sunshine,
and the shadows will fall behind you.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

oh my yes! I use to stones and cut em in half and serve them as fresh goodies to the birds on their platform feeders! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply