"Snake in the Grass"

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wild4flowers

"Snake in the Grass"

Post by wild4flowers »

This is totally cool.
My grandson found this in the yard today. After he found it, he was terrified. After that it was a good way to educate. And he could stand up on the deck and look down, so he wasn't so close.
But how often do we get to see, up close, good stuff like this. This is an Eastern Hognose Snake. It is in the process of eatting/swallowing a toad.
Therefore I knew it wasn't going to lunge at me while I was taking pictures. He was too busy trying to finish his meal.

CHAR
Attachments
5-7-06 018a.JPG
5-7-06 016a.JPG
5-7-06 008a.JPG
Happiness is making a bouquet of those flowers within reach ! ! !
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

That is something else

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Glad you took time to explain it to him...OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

OMG!!!!

Get the axe out! I would MUCH rather have the toad than the snake! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG.... Yes I am a snake hater! :o :o :o :eek: :o

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

actually, I don't like snakes either, but this one was safe to be around. CHAR
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

:eek: :eek: :eek: I don't like snakes either... Here, I only have rat snake ( 1 or 2 feet long) and I get scared!!!
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I guess I'm the only one that's going to say COOL!! :cool: :lol:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
wild4flowers

Post by wild4flowers »

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh my! :eek:

How big was this thing! We have gardeners <sp?> only,thank heavens!

One was not happy when I started digging through compost yesterday. Guess he better learn to share! LOL My dogs to love to chase them, but TH, don't pick them up!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:o poor toad

that is some snake. Happy for ya. (shudder)

Cool pictures though. :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Looks like a hognose snake. They are kinda scarce. And ya gotta have snakes that eat mice and such, even toads.
If the snakes weren't around there would be to many toads, mice, and rats and such.
Anyway I like em.
Most hognose snakes only threaten ya, and even if they strike most of the time they won't bite! It's really funny to see one play dead LOL. We use to play with them when we were kids.
But any way.......COOL PIC :cool:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh I didn't see the link LOL.
They are really cool snakes :D
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Wow!! Good that you explained to the GS.....I remember a couple summers ago we had one eating a toad on the patio.... :eek: I was really kinda gross, though and the poor toad was still alive.....It still makes me feel icky thinking about it.......

But thanks anyway for sharing nature!!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Whew! Great pics! Such a good way to teach the "food chain" to your grandson....and the rest of us too!....p :wink:
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Very :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: ! The hognose is a really fantastic snake. Sometimes called a puff adder because of all the hissing they do during their threat display. They are quite harmless. When they strike at you in defence, they do it with their mouth closed. If that doesn't work, they play dead like in the pics.
My son had one in the basement a number of years ago. It was always getting out, but never hard to find because it would start hissing as soon as you hit the bottom step. DW would just throw a towel over it and toss it back in the cage.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:cool: I really like snakes, and will not kill one unless I have to, and it has to be a snake that can hurt me, IE, rattler or cottonmouth. They are good varmit hunters and I think we may still have a big ole black snake (rat snake) that lives under our house. He can stay there and eat mice etc as long as he wants :lol:
As a kid, my grandfather kept a pet rattlesnake. He fed it mice etc and one time a baby bird that fell from its nest. I was very unhappy about that, and when my grandfather found me trying to get the bird out of the cage, he was pretty upset too!

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply