Indigo Buntings

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Indigo Buntings

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

WOW! I love those birds! I spent a whole summer, years ago, trying to get a good shot like that. Never did have any success, even with a big old telephoto lens. Those are absolutely fantabulous shots! :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Holy :o ! Fantastic pics!

What are you? Part bird! You get so close and personal with them! What type of camera do you use?

THey are absolutely beautiful! Please tell us when you write that book! I'd buy it! :) Gorgeous birds!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: Jane :lol:

I have a new Canon 20D camera that hubby purchased for me in March (still learning how to use it) with a 300mm lens. I also have a camo-blind tent thingy that I've set up 10-15 feet from the feeders I have out. Allows me to be up close and personal without stressing the birds.

That said, these little guys are about the same size as a chipping sparrow (small!) :o and out of 100 pictures, I only had about 5 that were keepers as they are always on the move. :roll:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Peg, The picture's are stunning!!
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Absolutely beautiful! I've only seen this bird around here two times in my whole life...gotta admit, I'm a tad jealous of their frequency at your feeders!

Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us!........p :wink:
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

:o Wow! You are so lucky to have this kind of bird. It's amazing, the blue is so neat! The only blue bird here is blue jay...
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

Peg - what would we do without your glorious photos!
~*Snow*~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Wow Peg. A blind to shoot birds from. Cool idea! I know how small they are. We've had them only about 2 years over the last 21 years also, Petal*Pusher, so I notice them right off and *attempt' to get pics. I've learnd to grab the camera and/or binoculars, b/c they never stay long. Visit their feeders on the way through I think.

Do they nest near you also Peg?

These along with Orioles make me wishiwere in the tropics! Beautiful birds! A true treasure to hold!
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Sorry about the delay Jane... we've been on vacation and just returned Tuesday.

Last night there were still 4 Indigos at the feeders. Last year I had a pair that nested here and I'm hoping I'll have at least a couple of pair this year... keeping my fingers crossed! :wink:

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

NP Peg! Hope you had a great vacation! :)

Post some more pics if you get a chance and/or find a nest :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG, that second picture is just too cute!!! :lol: His little head looking at you like that!! :lol:

Thanks Peg!!!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:roll: Oh for want of a camera today. I was at my buddies place over in Ill today. His wife is a big time bird feeder and today, there was a beautiful Indigo bunting, along with a house finch and a whole HERD of goldfinches, all on his thistle feeders at the same time. It was nothing short of spectacular.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I agree OED! I have house finches, goldfinches, buntings (yippee, they stayed!), and cardinals that regularly visit the feeders (plus all kinds of sparrows) and I never tire of seeing them.

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

SInce they stayed we can 'expect' more pics of your beauties hey? :)

where do they nest?
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Hi Jane! I believe they are nesting on the other side of the creek. I will have to check it out. There are only 2 males coming to the feeders now... I'm assuming they are the only 2 that stayed.

PeggyC's Hosta List
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmmmmmm...two males? Mostly likely mom's are both sitting on eggs maybe? Cool! Get out there and find them before they hatch and fly away ! :)

Seriously! I hope you find them! :)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Bird - Beautiful Picture

Post by oldcoot »

God sure does make some beautiful little Birds doesn't HE ?? And you DID an outstanding job of taking this one's picture. Several years ago before OC got into Birds, and what Got Joy into getting a Bird Book was this pretty little Bird. Haven't seen him since but OC has been gone a lot in the morning lately and might have just missed them. Think the last time they were just passing through as they were only here for 2 or 3 days.....OC admiring your handiwork
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply