Bluebirds maybe....whohoo!!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hosta12_Ia

Bluebirds maybe....whohoo!!

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I put up a bluebird house a couple of weeks ago and there is a nest in there I discovered today. Hubby told me not to get too excited, that it may be some other kind of bird. But looking at info on the net, I think it just may be a bluebird nest. WHOHOO. I saw the bird in there with binocs from the house, but couldn't really tell. When I went outside to get a closer look, it was already gone. Dang. I can't wait to find out for sure!!
Okay, so I get a little excited. :D But I have always envied people that had bluebirds. Since moving here last year, I was hoping it would be a good place to finally have them!
Jo
Last edited by Hosta12_Ia on May 21, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

It's possible, but if it's a bluebird, you'd definitely be able to tell with binoculars. They stand out well.

We've always put up more houses then needed for the bluebirds, b/c we have so many types of birds here (about 27 over the year) and many will use the same type of house a bluebird will. Make sure the entrance is correct for them also, or you'll get larger birds tossing out their nest, eggs and so on.

Our problem is tree swallows taking over nest and difficult to fight the problem. ALso remember to remove and clean the box after they are through and before another takes over the nest to prevent infestation and disease occurring.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Thanks Jane. I saw the bird inside the house with the binocs, so it wasn't easy to tell. I was hoping to see it outside of the box so I good tell for sure. I have heard of others using the box, but by looking at the nest, I am hoping it is a bluebird. I keep checking....
Jo

BOOHOO, it's a sparrow.....maybe next time.....
Snow

Post by Snow »

I hope you get your bluebirds! They have never nested in my yard - but we always had our beloved tree swallows instead. They dont nest here often now, it's not as open as it used to be here in the yard. We have our chickadees though - and our phoebes. It's all good - all are welcome :wink: (I would love having bluebirds though)
~*Snow*~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Is the nest on a fence post or row? Is there a large tree within a 100 feet for the fledgings to fly to? We were told to place it facing east, we have them facing every way, but the east facing one is the one that they took too within 2 days of putting it up. We have maybe 20 boxes in our field. All at least 20 feet apart except for an area where the tree swallows really like. There they are closer and they take those quilckly come spring. WE hope this helps in keeping the bluebird boxes free for bluebirds. Sometimes it works, sometimes not :(

Good Luck adn let us know if you get a good look. I loved when ours were nesting, b/c they sit on the fence and you couldn't miss that red breast and blue back! Just pretty! :)
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

The nest is facing east on a light pole about 5 1/2-6' high and yes there are large trees close by. Sigh, I really had myself convinced. Next time....
Jo
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

What happened? Did you find out it wasn't a bluebird pair?
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Yes Jane. Unfortunately I found out it was a sparrow. :(
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Awwwwwwwww...sorry! I'm waiting to find out who's inhabitied one of ours that is normally bluebirds. Just noticed tonight that someone is flying in and out, but it was too close to dusk to really see! :(
New Topic Post Reply