Spider ID?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Spider ID?

Post by wishiwere »

I've been seeing a spider that I've never noticed before this year. It's pitch black and looks hairy, but not sure, I didn't get THAT close! :)

He has one white dot on his back and maybe another smaller one, but shoot, I didn't get a pic. I've seen two of them and am curious. Anyone have an idea or a site to figure out what he/she is?

I lost my hard drive and wasn't able to save all my favorites, of which was an insect ID site. :( THanks to anyone that can help! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Post by Annie »

Maybe this one? If so we have these too. They can jump :eek: Scroll down, it's the last pic on this page.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... D%26sa%3DN
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I think that's it! Thanks! I'll have to get a picture next time I see it, but it does move fast. Don't remember seeing it 'jump', but it did jump off the hose end I had! :)

Thanks so much! I search hi and lo on the net and couldn't find anything that looked like it! :)
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Those Jumping spiders are so cool! They remind me of little Ninjas with their quick movements.
I like all the spiders. The only ones I will kill are the Black Widows and the Brown Recluse. I see the Recluse all the time when I'm working on old rehab houses.
DW thinks I'm crazy when I find a spider in the house cause I usually get it to crawl on my hand and then take it outside.
Best little preditors in the garden. :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh yeah, I'm going to let this hairy spider crawl on me! NOT :D While I like to know there are spiders to take care of other bugs for me, I don't like them that much! :lol:

Thanks Annie for the site and everyone for your help!
Doris_J

Post by Doris_J »

Oh, come on, Jane, let me crawl onto your hand. I won't bite!
Attachments
crabrose4.JPG
crabrose4.JPG (43.58 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Nope! I won't squish 'em, but I certainly, don't want any that 'hop' near me! I have picked up and handled daddy long legs, but not any others by my choosing! :eek:

And I detest those little black and white ones that are schizoid <sp?> You kwow that hop one way then the other. I really think they have 2 heads (one you can't see) that make em do that! Don't trust them! :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh they can jump alright! We use to tease them when we were kids. Not kill them just blew on them to make em jump LOL. Really are kinda creepy, they look like they follow ya with their eyes. They always want to face you. Use a stick and let them see it and then try to move the stick around them, they will turn with the stick, it's really kinda funny to watch.

I'm not a spider person, won't kill them UNLESS they are in the house. Even then I won't smash them, but I will use bug spray.

Ewwww as for daddy longlegs, I hate them. I freak out if I find one crawling on me :lol: They are just nasty looking.

I think the Garden spiders are cool and never mess with them, but then again I have never seen one in the house :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply