Grape Vine bugs? PLEASE HELP ID?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Grape Vine bugs? PLEASE HELP ID?

Post by wishiwere »

I have no idea what built and is living or growing in these, but can anyone else tell me, PLEASE???????

The leaf that looks bad was the result of a frost we had a few weeks back and not from this/these.

Please tell me what to do?
Attachments
DSCF1561-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF1561-copy_edited.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
DSCF1557-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF1557-copy_edited.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
DSCF1554-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF1554-copy_edited.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Possibly cacoons of the grape leaf skeletanizer. Seems like there would be leaf damage though if they have already gone through the larva stage. :hmm:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I've looked through every Michigan info site I can find on pest/disease for grapes and can't find anything to explain this. They look like a caccon, but further down almost like a gall or something in the crook of the main stems. I'm not sure whether to burn this baby, and keep it from spreading, or spray it with insecticide (and what type?) or what to do! HATE THIS!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I haven't been able to find anything that sounds like good. All different scales and such, but nothing conclusive.
Do you have a Botanical garden, Hort classes, DNR, Conservation agency to ask?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

HA! No, not really. They get to answer questions from the community, but are geared toward big farms and such. They never been able to answer a question for us yet. I'll keep looking....... thanks! :)
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Janie, I believe those are cottony cushion scales or some other species of scale. They are hard to kill as adults, although they can be killed as babies. Unfortunately, they are only vulnerable to insecticides while they are babies (not eggs) and they are babies for only a short period of time. You can scrape them off individually and then spray with dormant oil or other insecticide, but depending on how bad an infestation you have, it can be quite time consuming. Double check on google to see if I ID'd them correctly.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

OMGOODNESS :o Yes, they appear to be just that! YUCK! :eek:

THanks!

It's only 1 of 6 vines, so I'm hoping to nip it in the bud quickly. And funny I did notice ants crawling on them and from what I read the dang things protect them to eat their sweetness they produce! Off with all their heads, ants included!

Thanks again!
New Topic Post Reply