Ant Trap for HB feeders

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Ant Trap for HB feeders

Post by oldcoot »

Last for today. I told a friend about this off line today and suddenly realized I should also have posted to the whole group. The little green cup hold water. Has two hooks. Hangs between the hanger and the feeder. Joy got this at a Chirp and Chatter one day while she was in the area. Real cheap she said, and OC bets you could get one at Wally world or a pet store...good to keep ants, wasps, and yellow jackets out of the feeder. Once in the water, they can't crawl out the slick sides. It WORKS !!!! OC
Attachments
Ant Trap.jpg
Ant Trap.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Thanks OC!

I have 4 feeders out that have REALLY been attracting a lot more than hummers! I'll look for this item.....p :wink:

(hmmmm....now what do I do about the orioles and goldfinch that like to drink that sweet nectar? They seem to ignore the feeder especially made for them?!?!)
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

I have tons of wasps around my deck and back door. I have to sit out there with a flyswatter LOL. Thats one creature I really try to avoid. So they just land in the water and drown???
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
oldcoot

They do at OC's house

Post by oldcoot »

Don't know where they all are, but haven't seen a wasp or yellow jacket all summer. Suits OC just fine....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, never seen anything like that here for sale.....Pretty cool!!

Annie, I think that is for sure what happens......the ants crawl up the pole or whatever, then the dead end is the water/ant trap....then they drown....I have one on my one hummingbird feeder that is built into it....but never seen one like thins to buy...

Thanks for the heads up John!!!
oldcoot

You are welcome everybody

Post by oldcoot »

Just filled mine up this morning and flushed all the dead ants out......WORKS.... At 95* for the week, have to check it everyday.........It's so hot and dry now that as soon as I washed it out, a Chickadee flew over and had a drink...

OC
New Topic Post Reply