Humming bird feeders

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

Humming bird feeders

Post by mommatina »

I have used eight pounds of suger in the last week making food for the humming birds...I have 2 feeders out... and I have counted more than a dozen birds at once at the feeders... I don't know how much I have used all summer, didn't think about till this weeks.

So do you make your own syrup for the hummers or buy it?
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I am so jealous :) I have 2 feeders and I have tried homemade and commercal and have no luck so far this year getting them to come to my feeders. I see them fly by so I know they are there!!

I would love any tips or advice. I LOVE hummers :P :P
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:P Lucky, lucky you Tina! I'm envious! I make my own syrup.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I have them every year, they feast on my garden, I don't put out feeders for them. Their favorites are the butterfly bush and honeysuckle vines. They also like petunias and will come to the hanging geraniums. I see them every morning and every evening, as the honeysuckle and geranium are right by the windows.

Today one got in the garage and couldn't find his way out. It has an 11-foot high ceiling and he kept flying UP to get out, he couldn't figure out how to fly down under the open garage door to make his way out. I moved all the vehicles out to give him lots of room, then put some potted plants on the floor in hopes he would fly low to get to them and then fly out. He was in there for at least 3 hours. After I came in from mowing he had made his way out. Poor fella.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I recently read that you can estimate the number of hummingbirds that you have by multiplying the most you see at any given point in time by 4 (so you have at least 48!!!)

But eight pounds in ONE week?! (roughly calculating: 2.5 cups per pound = 20 cups sugar = 80 cups nectar). They go through more than 10 cups of nectar a day?

It must be difficult walking through your yard with all those hummers buzzing around! lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

oh, yeah... I make my own (4:1, undyed). :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Bev

Post by Bev »

I make my own also & I have a bunch at my feeders also. Gotta love those little guys!
New Topic Post Reply