Strange bird ID?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Strange bird ID?

Post by wishiwere »

I thought this was a European Starling, but then when I downloaded the pics, I saw this weirdness! Does anyone know if this is normal or a parasite of sorts.

It reminds me of the wasps that lay eggs on the catapillar and they have these things extruding from them? I hope that's not the case here!

Anyone?
Attachments
DSCF9039-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF9039-copy_edited.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

The starlings here are speckled just like that for part of the year. Solid colored the rest. Bet the europeon ones do the same. Ours don't have that light colored head though.
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Our's are dark headed also. I've never seen one like this. I wonder if it's a juvenile maybe? I hate the things, they are horrible when they come through in the spring and fall, making a mess of everything. Although pretty in the sunlight, I've always been glad to see them gone! :D

The head is what threw me off also, but those white protusions were really odd in the pic. I'll have to do a search on starlings, and see if maybe I can find something. Otherwise, I'm lost on this one! :D
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Jane....those same flocks must be visiting MY yard too!!

I have never noticed them before....they sure look and act like our common starlings....but that light colored head throws me! I found a pic that called them "white headed starlings".....

http://terryg.smugmug.com/gallery/1280783/33/90988589

I was hoping Snow could give us some info on 'em!!....p :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

We get them for maybe a week this time of year and in the spring migration mostly. They never stay, but come through in hordes! It's really noisy, and they disrupt the others birds lives for the week they are here! :(

This one though is really weird. The site you sent was the bird alright. Although when I did a search, everything I can find on one is that they are from India? Nothing about them here in the U.S.? We have over 30 species over the last 20 years we've fed birds, and NEVER had this one before. Although we've had 2 new species, just this week.

We've been delighted to see a family (mom, pops, and a juvenile Northern "Yellow-Shafted" Flickers. Very cool to have new ones :D

Thanks for the ID. Now to find more info on them, as you say, maybe Snow will see this and come through? One can hope! :wink:
Annie

Post by Annie »

mmmm looks like what we call Cowbirds. Maybe a yound one?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Snow

Post by Snow »

Ack! The body definately appears to be that of a starling. I dont know what the head appears to be :o If it were just one individual, I would say partial albinism. That doesnt appear to be the case :cool: I still think it's some sort of starling, though. This time of year (here) the youngsters gather together in large flocks, and I'm not certain but they may head south for their first winter, while the parents stick around. The juvies are more speckled and lighter in color, but I've never seen that white head!
Adult male European Starlings are less spotted below than adult females. Juveniles are dull brown, and by their first winter resemble adults but are browner especially on the head. Closeup on a single white feather A feather is one of the epidermal growths that forms the distinctive outer covering, or plumage, on a bird. ... Binomial name Sturnus unicolor Temminck, 1820 The Spotless Starling, Sturnus unicolor is a passerine bird in the starling family Sturnidae. ...
I cant find the info I was hoping for, either. I did find a picture that some lady took of two birds like yours at her birdbath. She referred to them as immature European starlings. Was she right? I have no clue - lol.
~*Snow*~
Snow

Post by Snow »

And of course - the suet-eating is another clue that it could be a starling.
~*Snow*~
Snow

Post by Snow »

Ok here is what I think - my most educated guess. I suspect those have to be European starlings, juveniles, in the process of molting to winter plumage. Something in some of these birds may cause the feathers on the head to contain so many white speckles that it appears mostly white - or else their heads are featherless and appear white. Here is a photo of a juvenile beginning it's molt into it's first winter plumage:

(note that a juvenile's plumage is a solid dark grey before molt)

This is a starling in full winter plumage (adult or juvenile regardless)

A breeding adult starling is much more black, with considerably less white speckling, and has a yellow bill - as opposed to the black bill of immature and wintertime birds.
~*Snow*~
Snow

Post by Snow »

petal*pusher wrote:Jane....those same flocks must be visiting MY yard too!!

I have never noticed them before....they sure look and act like our common starlings....but that light colored head throws me! I found a pic that called them "white headed starlings".....

http://terryg.smugmug.com/gallery/1280783/33/90988589

I was hoping Snow could give us some info on 'em!!....p :wink:
Ohhhh - your link actually answers it! Look closely at the picture:

You can see here that this bird's head is missing it's darker feathers. They just havent grown in yet! European starling in molt, it is!
~*Snow*~
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Thanks Snow! There were hundreds in the yard...mixed in with regular starlings and blackbirds. The noise was deafening...........but I loved it!.....p :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Now I never would have figured this out as you have! Thanks for you input. In all the years I've watched these birds come and go, I've never seen one with this color of head before! Thanks!
New Topic Post Reply