Hummingbirds in the Fall

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Motacrazy

Hummingbirds in the Fall

Post by Motacrazy »

My neighbor took down all his hummingbird feeders this weekend because, 'they need to migrate and will stay around if they have a food source.' My argument (for keeping mine up) was, what about the migrating hummers from further North on their way going south over the next few weeks.

Who is right, or is neither of us? I can see his argument winning and if so, then I would think you would want to take away the food for 3/4/5 days so your area hummers would go in search of other food sources (but I have tons of red flowers Salvia in particular so they'll be eating them for another month+) and then bring it back to get any NEW migrating Hummers.

What do you guys think?
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living,"
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." Thoreau
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

You are right! Hummers are not stupid! They know when itis time to leave!
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I agree...YOU are correct in my opinion!

I seem to have more activity at my feeders now....it has been that way for a good week or so. My thought was that migrating hummers...(just like the thousands of robins, grackles, blackbirds, etc. that have been visiting my yard and 8 birdbaths!)...are getting a quick drink before continuing their journey.

I would hate to NOT have them out there...those tiny little fellas know exactly when the best time for them to leave comes around! Good for you to leave them up!....p :wink:
Motacrazy

Post by Motacrazy »

I thought so too. I hadn't ever heard anyone removing food/water/ anythign for that matter, so I thought I was right, but you never know. The GOOD thing that has resulted from them taking their feeders down is that all their Hummers have been hanging out at my house. Durn the bad luck! ;)
"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living,"
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

That is an old myth that still persist despite all the information available to people.

Go figure, huh :roll:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Motacrazy

Post by Motacrazy »

Thanks all. This is my first year trying to feed Hummers w/ Sugar Water.
Of course being the geek I am, I have my daughter (21 months next week) looking for 'Birdies,' all the time now out the door while she's eating breakfast. She's seen the Hummers twice now and I am SO proud :)
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

They know when to leave by the changes in light. The days are getting shorter and the sun's light isn't as intense.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Yep what everyone says.......I keep mine up longer than my neighbor.....never know when you might get that scragglier. :D
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Yes, you are definitely right! I have read over and over that you are not supposed to remove your feeders until later. I even bought a hummingbird book and it says the same thing. There are some hummers that will be migrating from the North that are weaker than the others, and will be later passing through, and they will need all the food sources they can find on their journey South. The rest of them all know when it is time to go, and keeping your feeders full will not keep them from leaving when it is time. We still have our little territorial bully that sits in the magnolia tree and watches his favorite feeder. He sits on the very same leaf every day and chases every other bird away that gets close to "his" feeder on our back deck. We keep wondering when he will decide to leave.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Hadn't seen any for about 4 days and then this moring had 2 show up at the beebalm! :)

The second one looked like a young one, very small!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

We've still got the little fellers! Whether they're my summer regulars, or those passing thru, my feeders are busy!........love those lil' guys!........p :wink:
Motacrazy

Post by Motacrazy »

I haven't seen any for a few days either.....neither has my baby girl. BUT now every bird she sees, she points at and gets excited. Especially the big hawk we keep seeing in my neighbors Sycamore.
New Topic Post Reply