What is this?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

What is this?

Post by LucyGoose »

Can you tell me for sure what this is? I wished I would have taken a side picture of it now that I look at these.....I know it's either a shrew or vole.....I am thinking shrew because of all the little holes everywhere....but I have never lost a plant (yet) so I don't think it's a vole....I put those bait blocks out and we have found a couple of these....and boy, the hole next to the bait hotel thingy is really active.....

Thanks!! :D
Attachments
s 234.jpg
s 233.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww shucks......I thought someone would have an idea by the time I got home.....durn......Oh well, I picked up the bait till I find out......I am terrible at id'ing stuff from the internet.....I know I am to look for a flat nose on the shrew.....I'll do a google later to see if I can figure it out.... 8-)
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Ick! :eek: :evil: Ack! :eek: :evil: Uhh! :eek: :evil: Eek! :eek: :evil: That is a damn little hosta killer. :evil: But you must obviousley have other more tasty things in the ground for them, like daylilies! :( You are lucky you haven't lost anything to them! Must be nice!
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Looks like a vole to me.

Certainly not a shrew, they are tiny, about an inch or so, and have extended snouts.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well DH & I have been Googling, and this is so close to what we had.....the tale and nose.....this is a shrew......I think I have shrews......My pictures were not the best angle.

Thanks!!!

And if enyone else knows.....let us know.....Because we are CONFUSED!! :lol:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Whatever it is, I hope I never see one!! Ugly little thing! :eek:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Claudia
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I say shrew because from the underside view its nose looks pointy. It looks like what we were getting in our traps in late summer which was different than the voles we caught a few years ago when my hostas were being devoured.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I hope to SAM heck it's to cold up here in tundra land for any of them to live here.

Got to admit one thing though, it sure is ugly
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Ed, I think they can live where you are too.....pretty sure.....It was both ugly and cute as it was the dark fur that looked so soft....but I didn't find out by touching it.....

I don't want to kill the shrews, so I put the poison in the garage for the mice..... :D

Thanks Again!! :D
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Is it me or does that 1st pic loook like he has side arms.. making 6 in total. :eek: I agree with everyone else yucky looking critter.. esp. that 6 armed pic! Goosey.. you just keep them there! :lol:
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Oh wait a minute! This little fella is not such a bad guy to have around! It kind of looks like a shrew to me also.....and they are not plant-eaters. They eat a ton of bugs and SLUGS! Well....maybe not a whole TON....but I think they're really beneficial little guys!.......p :wink:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It looks like a shrew to me, LG. They are carnivores like moles, and eat bugs and other small mammals and snakes. I know they are ferocious little things. If the cats catch one, they won't eat it. I guess they taste nasty. They leave them out on the sidewalk for me to find. Voles have a rougher coat, sort of like a longer-haired mouse with a short tail. I know that we used to call them field mice when I was a kid. This is one of the best pages on meadow voles that I've found. It has some really good pictures.
http://www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/ ... w_vole.htm
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
bengal

Post by bengal »

Hi there, LucyGoose. Time for you to get those bait blocks up, and pronto! I'm almost certain that you're killing shrews. They are the good guys! So good that they've been known to kill and eat voles. It doesn't get much better than that.
New Topic Post Reply