Hickory Horned Devil (not for the squeamish)

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hickory Horned Devil (not for the squeamish)

Post by Chris_W »

Going through photos for the new catalog I came across these pics. While working this past fall I happened upon this not-so-little creature crossing the pathway. It is called the Hickory Horned Devil caterpillar and had clearly been feeding all summer on our walnut trees. In the fall they come down from the tree tops to find a place to burrow and pupate over the winter underground.

A few days later while planting I actually dug one up from underground that had already started to go to sleep. Then a few days after that I found another one still crawling around.

The horned devil is pretty ferocious looking, but actually quite harmless. My other fall finds were two different species of "slug" caterpillars, and I found out the hard way that THOSE guys are NOT all that harmless, because after touching one of those my finger when numb :wow:

Next year I'm looking forward to watching for the Regal Moths that these turn into :)
Attachments
horned_devil_2.jpg
horned_devil_2.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
horned_devil.jpg
horned_devil.jpg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:eek: yuck!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think he's pretty cool looking! Never seen or heard of those before. Glad they are harmless... sounds like you have quite a few of them there!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Wow Chris! I think he's quite beautiful too! I'm glad you have those hard-workin' fingers in that one pic so we can see that fellers' size! I've never seen this one before.

Don't you wonder what interesting things are all around us all the time?!?.....p :wink:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

That is kewl.....reminds me of a tomato hornworm :cool:

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

See what OC finds when he has (or takes) time

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D to browse the whole forum. Nice shot Chris. OC thinks he is pretty too. Love those horns. Maybe you WILL get lucky and see the moth....

OC liking you picture......
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply