OC's '07 Critters

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

A little "Bondo" and a coat of paint, it would be totally rehab'd in time for nesting season! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Why Bother

Post by oldcoot »

Squirrels will just chew it out again. Have other Bird houses, so will just keep an eye on it.....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Tried to send this and several other posts yesterday

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? :-? but had modem trouble. FINALLY got them to come out and replace it.

This is a Lizard in our Area called a Carolina Anole. He has chameleon like properties and he changes colors by what he is sitting on, in this case Grass. when it is mating season, he can blow out his throat, like pink bubble gum and makes noises that call a potential mate over to him. Been trying a long time to get a descent picture of this fast moving little critter that hides in the shade.

OC was getting ready to take a flower picture out in the front yard, when he spotted. Quickly refocused his Camera and GOT the shot he has been wanting.
OC made this with his 300 mm lens set on the Macro setting

Enjoy OC's efforts......................
Attachments
CAROLINA ANOLE - MACRO (2).JPG
CAROLINA ANOLE - MACRO (2).JPG (52.77 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o WOW, that is really cool!!! Nice shot!!

Thanks for sharing Coot!! :P
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

What a cute little critter!!! Great shot, OC!
Charla
oldcoot

Thanks everybody !!

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Since OC learned how to use the Macro setting on his 300 mm lens, he has enjoyed it a lot more. Can't wait for Iris to bloom and looks like THIS year the Old Coot is going to have a bumper crop. Still having a hard time getting in focus range. Have to use a small F-stop because it is not as sharp when at that range. OC Onward and Upward..
Last edited by oldcoot on Mar 16, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'll look forward to those iris pics....
Charla
oldcoot

Cardinal - still molting

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Yesterday was bright, but there was a hard wind blowing, so staid inside . Turned to Birding . This is one of yesterday's shots,. a Beautiful Cardinal that has not finished molting.

OC
Attachments
Cardinal Incomplete Molt - Frame.jpg
Cardinal Incomplete Molt - Frame.jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
oldcoot

Tufted Titmouse

Post by oldcoot »

:-? :-? :-? This Tufted Titmouse is definitely not as good as the Cardinal. As a matter of fact, OC should not even have gotten it. The bird was sitting 3/4 view. Looked really good. Since OC was focusing Manually on the big lens, he
stopped to check the focus, picked up his remote release, and looked up. Just as he pushed the remote, this Bird said to OC "I've got my seed, I'm taking off" and he did, big time. Was shooting at high speeds 1/800 -up 1/1,000 depending on the sun and the high clouds..F-Stop was 6.3 to try to blur the background. Hope you enjoy OC 's efforts !!
Attachments
Titmouse - Frame.jpg
Titmouse - Frame.jpg (43.86 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I think they are just the cutest little things. We had some, but I haven't seen them for a couple weeks. I don't know if they have moved on or what.

Love all your great pictures OC! :P

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
oldcoot

One Cold Dove

Post by oldcoot »

Ours are here year round Claudia, and they do fuss with the chickadees.

Feathers all fluffed up for 45* and 25 Mi/Hr winds.....They live in the woods behind the back fence and show up every day as a flock. several imes. Usually abut 8 Am, 11:30 and abut 3:45, times will vary, but they are there every day. If food runs out, they sit up in the tress until OC refills there tray...

(BAD COOT-forgot to atach picture)

Enjoy this pretty Bid................OC
Attachments
One COld Dove Frame.jpg
One COld Dove Frame.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Last edited by oldcoot on Mar 22, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I thought they were here all year too, so I am mystified as to where they went.

I have learned more about birds in the last 8 weeks then I thought I would know!! I am finding them so captivating!! :P I need to get me a book I guess. I have spent a lot of time on bird web sites!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
oldcoot

OC's favorite Birdie

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D He loves them because they are always singing and seem so lively. Hopping here and there.

Check out how far apart he has spread his legs. If OC could do that, he could pull up weeds by himself. No, if he got his legs that far apart, he would fall on his punkin haid. AND then, and THEN, Miss Joy would be all over him. Since he is really on her good side right NOW, he wants to keep it that way.......OC saying Enjoy this pretty little Carolina Wren on the metal feeder....
Attachments
Carolina Wren -HRz.jpg
Carolina Wren -HRz.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

OC, I thought of you this morning when I looked out the window and saw a little bird that looked like the Titmouse you posted a few days ago. I have never seen one here,though, so I don't know for sure if that is what it was.
Do they live in Kansas? Obviously, I don't know much about birds! :oops: I have been more interested though since I have been watching your pics. I actually took a pic of a cardinal the other day...it turned out great...you can almost see the red spec right in the center of the photo!! I need a new camera!! :lol:
Charla
oldcoot

Well Since you had trouble with your Cardinal

Post by oldcoot »

:roll: :roll: :roll: Here is a nice pictures of the female Cardinal. OC thinks these two are a pair as he sees them together out there all the time. see one, see the other..

Enjoy........OC who loves Cardinals too
Attachments
Fmale Cardinal.jpg
Fmale Cardinal.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
oldcoot

Two more Bird pictures OC wants to ask a question about

Post by oldcoot »

These are actually the same image. One was a minor crop, and the other a major crop. Which do you like Best >> OC
Attachments
Dove-2.jpg
Dove-2.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Dove-1.jpg
Dove-1.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

I like the first one best myself, OC. Nice shots of the cardinals too!

Claudia
Claudia
oldcoot

Thanks CLaudia

Post by oldcoot »

OC just couldn't decide OC
oldcoot

A little Tree Rodent Action for today

Post by oldcoot »

Had quite a few Squirrels on the deck that morning, and he was warning the three in the Yard to stay down there. OC must be the only person in Rock Hill who is still feeding them, they are everywhere

Enjoy the Lord's little beasties..OC sure does

Made with Cannon XT and Kit lens...Large crop....
Attachments
s Looks Out -0C.jpg
s Looks Out -0C.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

OC, your female cardinal photo is magnificant!! And yea, the squirrels... I feed them too. Just one more of God's creatures! :P
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply