Mystery solved

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Mystery solved

Post by Herb »

Frome time to time we've noticed a very elusive animal in our back yard. Usually we've got only a glimpse of its tail as it disappeared behing a shrub. From its tail I assumed it was a small Raccoon - see the top picture.

Today, I got a better view of it. This solved the mystery - see the lower picture!
Attachments
Racat.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: Is that a for real cat Herb? It's a pretty cool looking one if it is...... :P
Herb

Post by Herb »

Yes, he (I think it's a Tom, judging by the shape of the head) is definitely for real.

Here are another couple of pictures of him. You can see the ringed pattern is on his front paws too.
Attachments
racatframe copy.jpg
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

:o Never seen this combination before! He's really a good-looking fella!

Thanks for posting....p :wink:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:cool: Very striking looking fellow.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Herb

Post by Herb »

I've been looking up cat varieties on the Internet and have begun to think it may be cross between Siamese and one called a Savannah Cat.

If you do an images search in Google for Savannah Cat it produces some interesting pictures & descriptions of it & of similar interbreeding results.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Looks more like a part Siamese/part tabby cat to me. He doesn't look like a modern Siamese in the face, but his body is the right color for one. They do have tabby point listed as an acceptable color for Siamese. Whatever his parentage, he sure is pretty.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

Looks like tabby pattern laid out where a siamese would be colored. What a pretty boy! Since we've had Mr. Petey I've noticed so many different combinations of siamese mixes. They are always gorgeous and always unique. Mr. Petey's mask has faded and made tabby stripes across the top of his head. We refer to them as his racing stripes as he likes to race all about the house at top speed. here's a recent one of Petey and one of Gracie's sister Sapphie, who disappeared. She had siamese characteristics too.
Attachments
petey-in-green2.jpg
petey-in-green2.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
sapphy.jpg
sapphy.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Herb

Post by Herb »

We're getting a collection of very nice cats in this thread!

Today I saw the cat again & managed to get a couple more pictures through the window. It needed 10x zoom.

But now that I've seen the pictures, I see I was wrong. It obviously isn't the same cat.

I feel sure from the shape of the head that she's not a Tom. Her tail isn't ringed & the markings on her head are different. Her fur has a really expensive look to it. I think she looks as if she's accustomed to the best.

Maybe she belongs to the same owners & is from the same litter.
Attachments
Catsist.jpg
Kas

Post by Kas »

Second kitty looks like a fat Abyssinian. Pretty, pretty kitties in your neck of the woods!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply