Whooping Cranes

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

Whooping Cranes

Post by Linda P »

Such a sad story on the news this morning. All 18 of this year's batch of whooping cranes perished in the storms in Florida on Friday. The older birds were safe. Apparantly the younger ones were in some sort of enclosure, and could not be reached when the storm came up. That is quite a loss when the total number of birds in North America of this species is so low. (About 200 or so in the western flock, and 63 in this one, along with a number who live year-round in Florida.)
I was glad to hear that they aren't going to let this major setback stop the program to add to the flock that migrates to Florida. How sad it must be for the people who raised them and accompanied them on their first trip south.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Oh that is such a sad story. I love the whooping cranes and they have been making such a nice comeback. Years ago, we used to winter at Pt. Aransas, on Mustang Island, off the coast of Texas. They had special sightseeing boats that went out specially to see them and we went out. Was very interesting. They were in the marshy areas of the Laguna Madre, between the island and the mainland. They have quite a few of them that winter there and they are really something to see. Let's hope the Florida program is able to recover soon.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh man.....I did not hear this......So sad!!!!! :(
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:( I didn't hear about the whooping crane... what a sad story!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC hadn't heard it either

Post by oldcoot »

Thanks for telling him.....OC very sad over this news
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply