R is for Rottweilers, too

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

R is for Rottweilers, too

Post by eastwood2007 »

R is for Rottweilers to keep those pesky critters away! Oh, these ones aren't mean or anything...but they chase all those digging squirrels, those dogfood eating racoons, the hosta eating deer, the grass seed eating birds, etc., out of the fenced yard area. I love the little animals, too, and all those little darlings can enjoy the rest of the 44 acres outside the fence! And the Rotties love my two cats who take care of the greenhouse plant eating mice and pack rats! So it's a win, win deal! And they are so cute.....sorry, I couldn't resist, it's just the first thing I thought of when I saw this section....I love all the photos.
Attachments
Champ and Grace 2.jpg
Champ and Grace 2.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:) They do look adorable out in the snow! Bet they were having loads of fun. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Joan! They were adorable in the snow, to me anyway. Not everyone thinks Rotts are cute, but I guess I can understand that. Mine are sure sweet, though. Besides just great company, they are very beneficial in keeping their yard protected. Since we live in the middle of the woods, without the dogs there would be no gardening! The deer, rabbits, and squirrels would carry off or chew off everything. I only have to deal with an occasional big footprint in an inconvenient spot, or digging trenches trying to find voles...that one can be problematic... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Charla
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Sometimes they do get RAUNCHY

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not sure of all the details yet, but there is a story in the news about a Rot (son told OC whern he had lunch with him today)that attacked a three year old, in Rock Hill yesterday. Took 110 stitches to put his face back together. Will check it out tonight and see if he was taunting the dog....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Sometimes they do get RAUNCHY

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not sure of all the details yet, but there is a story in the news about a Rot (son told OC about it when he had lunch with him today) that attacked a three year old, in Rock Hill yesterday. Took 110 stitches to put his face back together. Will check it out tonight and see if he was taunting the dog....OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I think they are cute! I don't think there is a bad breed, just bad parents.....I have always like the dobies and they too get a bad rap......Your rotties are sure handsome in that snow....

Thanks for sharing!! :D
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, LucyGoose. OC, I totally understand your concern. There are so many unresponsible people out there that own the really protective breeds, such as the Rotts, Dobermans, and Pit Bulls. While I have no experience with the other two, so I cannot speak for them, I do have a lot of experience with Rotts. We have owned them since 1992 and they are wonderful. The difference with Rotts is that unlike most dogs who just respond - to repetitive training - Rotts think. They have the reasoning skills of about a 2 yr. old, and when well-trained I don't think there is a better dog. However.....there are many dangerous ones because they are never trained and not treated well. And, I say many, but when they were popularized, the incidents of attack, compared with the quantity of them out there was really very low. While I am definitely not defending bad behavior, the biggest problem is that owners do not understand the strength and the protective nature of the breed. They are not for everyone, unfortunately you don't have to have a license to buy a dog! I do mean unfortunate, too. We used to breed Rotts, but stopped because the only phone calls we got for them were from psycho-types that wanted to make them mean, or chain them, or who knows what! I screened and carefully interviewed every prospective owner. I actually ended up keeping the last pup just because of that. He's the little sweetie on the left in the photo...and I do mean sweetie! He's soooo cute, and has a precious, sweet demeanor! There is really no dog that is safe when mistreated or left alone with a child in the wrong situation...it's just that Rotts are big enough to really do some damage. Rotts are invaluable here in the country, as I said, because they do keep unwanted pests out of our 2-acres fenced area around the yard. And as a bonus, they look really intimidating when a stranger comes to the house! 8-) Sorry to ramble, but I didn't want anyone to think I was a psycho with psycho dogs...

BTW, they are posing in the picture...they know what to do when the camera comes out!!! :lol:
Charla
oldcoot

Took AWHILE

Post by oldcoot »

but finally got to the bottom of this story, by logging on to the Herald newspaper's web site. Seems the only thing OC's son got right was the age and number of stitches the child had. She was 3 years old and HAD gone into the dog's yard from the sidewalk. The dog who WAS stated to be originally in a pen but because of her age and critical condition they could not question her about it much. First story was that she opened the gate and let the dog out, her father denies this. said he didn't think she could have gotten it open. No one saw it happen. Her father was in the front yard, heard the cries and immediately ran around, picked up a large stick and beat the dog off of her. Animal Control got there really quick and quarantined the dog immediately after they got control of it to check for Rabies. Test was negative, but owner volunteered to put the dog down anyway. That's sad. According to today's paper which carried a follow up story, said the Dog was a Pug Bulldog, not a Rott as originally reported.

Not a nice story, but these are the facts. It would not surprise OC at all, had she NOT at least approached the dog and he could have knocked it open. Tragedy for every one. The girl is in intensive care, expected to live but is horribly scarred. Seem the dog chewed through her mouth. It did take 122 stitches to put her back together. If she lives, she will require massive re-constructive surgery,

Dear Lord please bless her, her family and the poor man who lost his dog.....
New Topic Post Reply