Just a toad

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Just a toad

Post by PeggyC »

I accidentally drop kicked this poor little guy tonight. :( He seemed to be okay as he hopped away after posing.

Love the eyes. :lol:

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

No wonder he looks so grumpy - I would be too if I'd just been drop kicked. :wink:

:cool: pics, Peg!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

He looks pretty P.O.'d to me!! :lol: By the way.....did you gibve him a kiss?
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:o He looks ready to pounce on that camera and give you a foot! :D Poor guy. Glad he was okay. What they must think of us big ogres. I know I stop for toads in the 'back forty' and wonder how they can't feel that tractor heading for them. Instead they wait till I'm nearly on them to take a hop out of the way!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

patsue53 wrote:He looks pretty P.O.'d to me!! :lol: By the way.....did you give him a kiss?
He could be a prince!! :wink:

I am mortally scared to death of toads - I'm always afraid one will jump on me! :eek: I couldn't have gotten close enough to take that picture if my life depended on it!

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I hear ya Ann!! I don't like "hoppy" things either!! :eek: We have had one in our garage and every time I go out there I watch real close. Though I did try to take a pic him but I don't think I was close enough!! :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hey! I love those little fellas! When I was a youngin'...we'd sit out on the back steps early evening and carefully "pet" a huge toad that always hopped by...he'd just sit still and seemed to enjoy the strokes!

This spring, I JUMPED when I was watering a few flats on the ground of one of the greenhouses at school.....suddenly the leaves started moving and a little toad rose to the top of the plants.

My favorite school greenhouse story happened quite a few years ago. We had a resident toad for several years...somehow he made it thru the hot summers in the greenhouse when nobody was there....but he was the lone amphibian!

For three mornings in one week, he'd be sitting on the cement sidewalk when I opened the ghse. door. (the ghse is attached to the classroom) I got the hint that he wanted to go outside in the real world, so I carefully scooped 'im up and set him free in the ivy outside the classroom door. A gentle rain that night seemed like it would be a welcome change to this little fella.

It was funny when the kids came to class the next morning and said there was a big toad jumping against the door...looked like he wanted IN! I ignored his pleas and let him stay outside...he has rewarded us a'plenty! We can tell when all those little polywogs are swimmin' in that outside pond the kids put in!........p :P
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

What a cute lil guy!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I found one Fri. morning while I was walking thru my back yard down into the easement behind our property. I scooped him up, and took him in to show my girls before they left for school. I had him up by my chest, cupped in my hands, and he pee'd all over the front of my shirt, LOL.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Justaysam wrote:I had him up by my chest, cupped in my hands, and he pee'd all over the front of my shirt, LOL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Terrific Picture of he Froggie

Post by oldcoot »

OC has several that live in the weeds under his hose fitting on he wall. IT LEAKS. We also saw several, when we cleaned out the beds. Glad to have them, they eat BUGS..

OC loving your picture.......
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
chickweedo

Post by chickweedo »

What a great picture! - I just love the litte hoppers in the gardenas like OC siad they eat bugs - plus they are just fun to watch.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

They eat anything that moves - "here sluggy, sluggy, sluggy...."

Turn over an old flowerpot and leave a space for him to get in and out and they will use it as a toad house. They even make Toad Houses for that purpose. :)

Rub them on their side and they lean toward the rub, then rub the other side and they lean that way too. :)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh Peg, how cute! :cool: Your pics are great!

I have a toad (I call him/her Toady) hanging out on the deck in my wintersown containers. :D I got a pic today.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I address ours as MR. TOAD!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply