Wait for me, Mamma!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Wait for me, Mamma!

Post by caliloo »

THis little guy was hopping all over my patio and yard today. He can only fly a few feet at a time and even that is a huge effort. Mamma was never far away though and keeping a close eye on him (her?)

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:cool: pics, Alexa!!

He/she doesn't even look sorta happy in that 2nd pic. :o
Looks like one pi$$ed baby blue jay to me... :eek:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

You're right Renaldo :lol: by the time I got the second photo he was pretty mad at me for being so close. He had even done his very best at puffing up his chest and trying to look intimidating. It was awfully cute :lol:

I hope he makes it back to the safety of the trees, I can't spend the entire day protecting him from the cats that roam the neighborhood.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Sure you can Alexa! He's precious! I've never seen a blue Jay fledging up close and personal, so this is very :cool:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have never seen one either, but hoping too with all the jays we have around here. Great pics & thanks for posting!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
madmama

Post by madmama »

Be careful getting to close to the baby. One year while trying to save one from my dogs one of the parents dived down and hit me full force in the top of my head with it’s beak. As I was sitting on the ground seeing stars and feeling dizzy, my DH and DD were standing on the deck laughing their heads off. Needless to say I made them get the baby over the fence to safety while I nursed my poor head. This happened several years ago and my family still gives me a hard time about it.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh my! I've had the Robins dart at the shed door while I was in there, but never hit me. And they do chatter at me when I'm going near, trying to get my attention away from it.

And I've dive bombed by tree swallows when mowing, b/c I mow under and around the boxes we have up that they raise families in, but geepers! I'll be careful if I see a blue jay with a fledging! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:lol: He's so cute! I hope he learns to fly soon and gains the safety of the trees!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sorry that happened to you madmamma, but I have to admit that I would have been laughing my head off too. :lol: The other day our outside male cat must have gotten bit too close to baby robin, because I saw him come running across the deck with two robins chasing him! He immediately hid under the deck and didn't come out for a while. :lol: I laughed my head off!

Love the pics of that cute little fella! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I love blue jays! Yep I've been hit in the head by mommie too :lol:
They are VERY protective hehe. Have you ever seen one with out it's feathers yet? They are army green :o

We found one when I was a kid and raised him and turned him loose, but he kept comming back. We had tons of barn cats and was afraid they would get him. So we wound up keeping him as a pet. He was one of the best pet birds I can remember!
Actually we found him because we use to cut down trees for burning and he was in that tree, so he didn't have ANY feathers yet.

Great pictures!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply