frightened fledgling flicker falling far from family into...

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

petal*pusher

frightened fledgling flicker falling far from family into...

Post by petal*pusher »

FIREPLACE :o

Last night as I was laying on the couch watching Bill O'Reilly, I suddenly realized all the flapping sound I was hearing was not only from his mouth! :lol:

There was obvoiusly a bird caught in the fireplace! After carefully pushing the glass doors apart, and trying to look up, I realized "something" had fallen down the chimney and did not seem able to get thru that little swingy part. Suddenly I saw some yellow tail feathers....and knew one of the little flickers that has been entertaining me in the yard had perched in the wrong place!

It seemed to be afraid to just drop down. I closed the doors back up...sat a lamp down so it could see an available opening. It broke my heart to know he was in there...but he soon quit thrashing and I assumed he'd just quieted down for the night...I left the light on just in case.

This a.m.....no sign of him.....then suddenly there he was!
He was pretty dusty, and sure was scared, but I was able to catch the little fella and let him go! BOTH of us were pretty dusty!................p :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Awwww..I'm so glad you were able to rescue the little fella. We had a bird go down our chimney pipe once that is connected to a wood burning stove. Unfortunately it never got past the bend in the stovepipe and I couldn't disconnect the pipe to get it out. Once DH got home he disconnected it for me, but it was too late. :( I felt bad, but what can you do? We did make sure to replace the screening around the top of the chimney pipe , so the birds couldn't fly in and get trapped again.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I was wondering if that could happen!! We have a fireplace here but never had one beore, so was wondering!!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Awwwwwwww....so glad you were able to rescue him! Imagine the discussion in the tree today if he could talk with the others in his fledgings. :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

wishiwere wrote:Awwwwwwww....so glad you were able to rescue him! Imagine the discussion in the tree today if he could talk with the others in his fledgings. :D
Cute thought! Glad you were able to save him! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply