Another orphaned bird - a baby bluejay.

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Squash Blossom

Another orphaned bird - a baby bluejay.

Post by Squash Blossom »

The orphaned robin I raised is grown now, out and about doing robin things but still stopping by every day for a treat of his beloved Superworms.

Yesterday two little girls from across the street ran over to ask for help with a baby bluejay they'd found. They live two houses from where Rocky's nest fell and the baby bluejay also fell out of an enormous pine tree. Also like Rocky, "B.J.'s" two siblings were already dead when we found them.

There's absolutely no hope of putting a baby bird back in a nest in these trees. It would take a cherry-picker to reach the nest!!

So far baby B.J. is hanging in there. Naturally, even as small as he is, he's got a bluejay attitude!!
Attachments
DSC01224BJ-Day2 (resized).jpg
DSC01224BJ-Day2 (resized).jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
DSC01215 (resized).jpg
DSC01215 (resized).jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Aww....must be the day for Blue Jay activity! We've had a pair playing around together, which is a real rare event!

Hope he makes it with your kind heart to guide him. Good luck :)

Make sure you post pics of him often! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Awwww!! I too hope for another good outcome. Bless you

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh Ann, bless your heart. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Major update!! The baby bluejay turned out to be a baby grackle! We named him Google duGrackle and I cared for him until today when a licensed wild bird rehabilitor came and got him.

I have not been feeling well for weeks and have been undergoing a lot of tests. I just honestly didn't have the energy to continue caring for "Googie" - plus his personality was one for the books!! The same bird who on 7/7/07 was so frail he couldn't lift his head, had only a few wing feathers and no body feathers, by 7/13/07 was fully feathered and had decided he was going to leave...and he wasn't going to discuss it!!

Googie got so hysterical yesterday I was afraid he was going to injure himself in the cage. He couldn't fly 3 ft. and certainly couldn't feed himself but he was hellbent to get out of that cage. That's when we knew he needed more care than I could give and miraculously we found a wonderful young man who has special room-size cages, etc., and is trained to rehabilitate wild birds.

These pictures are the last I have of Google - I miss him tonight but I also feel so much better knowing he's with other birds and also with someone who has a lot of experience with wild birds. Jamie, the person who took Google, said some birds reach that point of maturity when they suddenly want to leave the nest and they're going to either do it or die trying.

Ann
Attachments
DSC01235Google-Day5 (resized).jpg
DSC01235Google-Day5 (resized).jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
DSC01236FeedMeNow! (resized).jpg
DSC01236FeedMeNow! (resized).jpg (28.12 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Aw...that last picture he looks so snobbish and arrogant, but with a touch of downturned facials, saying maybe he might just miss you :D

Sorry you've been under the weather! I hope it's nothing serious! It's hard enough to care for ourselves when we are under the weather, let alone care for a wild bird or animal. Rest well Ann, and push those fluids!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I've never heard of a grackle! I'll have to look that one up. Sounds like you did all for him that could be done. You kept him going and got him to someone that knew how to "let him fly" like he wanted to. Job well done!

I, too, am sorry you are not feeling well. Please take care of yourself and I pray that your tests are conclusive and you enjoy a super-speedy recovery!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply