(European) Robin

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

whis4ey

(European) Robin

Post by whis4ey »

The Robin Redbreast
Quite a bossy little character he is ... very jealous of his territory
Attachments
Robin01.jpg
Robin03.jpg
Robin03.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Robin05a.jpg
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

and a baby
Attachments
babyrobin03.jpg
babyrobin03.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Cute! Your Robins are so tiny! :D

One of our fledgings has become very territorial of his garden. It's between the lilacs and blue spruce amongst the hosta memorial garden. I had put the bottom of a pot out there, with water after the fedgings left the nest to that area. One of the 3 we watched for 2-3 weeks has been very protective of that water dish. He'll chase what ever finch, catbird or wren comes near the water, then just sit in it and watch around for 5-10 mintues. But he's never far from it when someone else comes, he flys in immediately! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I love that first photo!!!

Yes, our robins are larger/longer -- but usually much more slender than yours appear to be, and with a full reddish-orange front. Not territorial at all.

Are your robins seed-eaters? The preferred diet for ours is worms. Supposedly, our robins won't eat seed, and I never see them at the feeders. I also recently read that the reason our robins don't stay through the winter here is lack of food supply, and that if we had enough dried fruits, and a reasonable worm/bug source, they wouldn't go south. That wouldn't happen here though, as our "winters" last about 6 months. We generally only see robins from sometime in March until sometime in October/November.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

We had a few here till January several years back. I lost my pics when that computer crashed, but we had about a foot of snow all of sudden after a warm jan start adn they were eating every berry off the bushes they could find. Unfortunately, many got a little tipsy shall we say, after eating them. They were a bit fermented! :o
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply