About Barn Swallows

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

barbara

About Barn Swallows

Post by barbara »

Hi. Does anyone know of a good site with info. re: migration habits of these birds? I realized this weekend they've all left, which I think is way earlier than usual...does it mean anything? Now all I have left are bats! Any information will be appreciated, thanks.
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Don't know of a site but I do know that they should be heading south from your area the end of August to the first part of September so I'd say they're right on target if you're in Canada.
barbara

Post by barbara »

You think? LOL You're probably right, but seems to me they've been around longer in the past ...not much but maybe a couple of weeks. Seems kinda strange they are gone, I live with them all Spring and Summer...miss them :( Its like one day they are here, the next gone. Guess Fall is here, and winter will follow :snow:
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I seem to remember that by July 4 they were gone. (eastern MA). Working in barns it was always nice to have them around, especially watching them ride the hot walker with the horses. They kept the cats entertained for hours, we were entertained by them divebombing the cats and the cats flipping in the air trying to catch them. I love their song the most.

Don't knock the bats, they eat a ton of bugs every night. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
barbara

Post by barbara »

Spider, they are so much fun to watch, and yes, cats and swallows are a hoot :lol: What about that muddy nest with all the babies? and the yellow beaks or whatever you call them, wide open waiting for a treat? :D but they can be messy...love them anyways.
I don't mind the bats, as long as they're not in the house :roll: Heard we have thousands :?: :roll: of them , up in the barn, where the hay is stored.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Funny you mentioned this. Because we were thinking that the ones that come through in mid-late sept have already been through. We were especially surprised to see canadian geese come through (some, not the normal amount) a couple weeks ago. All we could think, was that perhaps there was construction where they had been and they were relocating perhaps till later?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Your robins stay here through the winter. The hords you see in the spring are the hords I saw last winter. Its very strange.

I always love the "baby bird hair" they get in combination with the huge mouths. (my hair does that in a pony tail, drives me nuts)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Spider wrote:(my hair does that in a pony tail, drives me nuts)
What a visual!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply