Visitor

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

Visitor

Post by eastwood2007 »

I immediately noticed something out of place on the fence when I walked out the door the other day...

Anyone know what kind it is? It is over 2' long, but only about 1/2 or 5/8" diameter. It let me get close enough for a macro shot and didn't even flinch. I got a head shot but it wasn't very clear...I know he didn't move so it must have been me a little nervous being so close. :D We had one of these in the house one time, while we were still under construction, before we had the threshholds on the doors. They seem harmless and sure are bright!

Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is very cool looking! I've never seen one that bright green around here before, but we do see some interesting looking snakes from time to time.

A couple weeks ago I saw a brownish/gray snake with horizontal banded stripes that I had never seen. I tried to look it up on the internet to find out what kind it was but had absolutely no luck :???:

Now I have to wonder why the heck your snake was crawling across the fence like that :hmm:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hi, Chris!

We think it must be like some sort of tree snake. The one that was in the house was slithering thru the bookcases when we first saw it, then it was in the houseplants trying to look out the window, then I think it just went back out under the screen door. I do remember it being very fast as by the time we saw it in the bookcases (which you could see it clear across a very large room because of its color), it was no where to be found by the time we got over there! :eek:

It does not have the least bit of a threatening or ugly personality about it. If a snake could be 'sweet' this one was... :D

It must just be taking a shortcut along the fence...

BTW, I don't consider it to be my snake...it's it's own snake! :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Kas

Post by Kas »

We called them green snakes when I was a kid in Alabama. But that could be because of their color. And yes, they are very nice snakes.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

We called them green snakes too when we were kids. We used to scare my Mom with em. :lol:
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I always heard them called grass snakes. Good for your yard!!! Eats bad bugs. Keep him around if you can.

Gigner
Zack

Post by Zack »

Used to get them in the vineyard - but never this big. That is probably the largest "grass-green" that ever existed. Their habatit is up in the tree tops , so this one was probably trying to find a tree.
There is another species, I have only seen one-The black vine snake. They are long but very small in diameter. Found mine under a bale of hay. It was about 9'long but very slinder. They are fast. Chris, you probably had a gardner snake, with the yellow horizontal lines. According to my snake friend -their life cycles is contained within 300 or less Yards. The grass/vine snakes like to stay high up in the tree tops. Some times they are forced to lower altitudes by storms, fires and or construction. A really great picture. Glenn
"Montani semper liberi"-SOS-Live Earth
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

That's a cool picture!

I never thought of snakes as climbers, but if he's a tree snake maybe it's just his habit to climb things, even if it's just a fence! :lol:

But in the bookcase . . . :eek:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply