Domestic cat control

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Domestic cat control

Post by Gardentoad »

It looks like an interesting idea:

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1226

Anti-hunting bib keeps cats in check
Wednesday, 18 April 2007by Michelle Carr
Cosmos Online

SYDNEY: Domestic cats kill an estimated 100 million native Australian animals each year. Now, a study shows that a brightly-coloured 'bib' attached to a cat's collar can reduce hunting effectiveness by 72 per cent.
Annie

Post by Annie »

MMM I don't think I would use this. Of course I don't let my cats roam outdoors. I would be afraid they would get caught on something and either hurt or kill the poor thing. Or at least the coller that it's hooked to.

I think it is great someone is trying to help the wildlife though. Maybe come up with another idea.

Nothing more agrivating than ferel cats killing the wildlife. Of course if people were more responsible they would have their pets spayed or neutered before they left them to roam. But thats just me :)

I have not fed "my" wild birds for the last couple years because of the strays around here. They also have not built any nests like they use to either because of the cats.

I do think they should "try" to catch any and all cats running loose and alter them before turning them loose again, to control the population.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

"Made from tough, lightweight neoprene, the bibs are attached to collars with velcro. According to Calver, they are safe for cats when fitted to a safety collar and used outside - and the majority grew completely accustomed to wearing them within a few days."

A safty collar is designed to break loose if it is caught on something because even without a bib cats can stick their heads in places they don't belong. Since the bib is held on by just velcro I doubt it would be something that a cat couldn't pull loose from.

It sounds to me like it's the bright color that warns the birds. I would think it would be cheap and easy to make something similar out of bright colors that would be perhaps bigger around and not as long so you would have the same area of color but not all hanging in front.

I'm all for fixing pet cats to reduce the population of unwanted cats, but spaded and neutered cats still hunt. Why would you do that to wild ones and turn them loose again?
Annie

Post by Annie »

Yes, they will still hunt.

I can't really explain my feelings on this in writing very well :D I don't want to sound like a know it all or anything.

I'm not really for turning them loose again, but they are already out there and not many people are willing to take in wild ferel cats.
At least in catching them and "fixing" them they can reduce the population of the ferels a bit. This way they couldn't keep reproducing and making more kitties at least.

I'm not trying to sound snotty LOL.

Getting right down to my feelings about strays is that they shouldn't be out there in the first place. But since they are I agree someone should do something about them.

And if catching them and "fixing" them and releasing them will do it then I guess thats what they have to do :)

As far as the safety collers go, I think they still can get caught up in something and wind up hurting the kitty. I don't think there is really any safe collar that one could put on a cat. I agree the idea is a good one though. But maybe something else. I have no idea what :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

They did that (caught and released after spaying/neutering here) and I wondered at the time what a difference it would make if any. They did about 200 cats using vet students at from a MSU south of us that came up for 2 days to do this. My feeling is, why release them then? I realize no one could keep a feral cat, as it would't make a pet, but really. There are so many now out there. Why not put that money spent on sterilization into catching even more cats.

Seems like someone wasn't thinking. Feral cats live around here, and like you, it's irritating to see them stalking the feeders while my own cats are kept indoors to prevent that and prolong their lives.

I think a bell would do as well (or better) to protect birds anyway. Thing is, most other things they are attempting to protect, wouldn't see the 'bright' colors, so it wouldn't matter, the color.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply