More birds...

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

viktoria

More birds...

Post by viktoria »

...now why is that one called the Red-bellied Woodpecker?
Attachments
RBwoodpecker.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

There is a very faint red blush on the breast area. A lot of times you just don't notice it as it can be so light.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I have one of these fellas visiting my suet this year too for the first time! He's so similiar to our summertime flickers in size and shape, he tricked me the first time I spotted 'im!

He's been a regular..along with some downy and hairy woodpeckers, and doesn't seem to mind me peering out the window to watch! Thanks for posting this lovely pic.....Pam :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love the RBW's!! I have them on my suet also! I always wondered why would a bird with orange be called *red* bellied.....:lol: Thanks for sharing! :P
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

I have a RBW too. Last spring I had a pair but now I just see the one. He's here every morning at dawn and if I've failed to fill his feeder in time he lets me know just how unhappy he is about that.

He and the Blue Jays are my alarm clock.

I love your pictures.

Lion
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Even though this is a summer pic, its still good. I find that lots of my pics tend to be blurry, in my haste to get the shot before they fly away. Also, the picture window tends to get doggy nose prints on it and if I haven't gotten to it to wash it off,....
Attachments
birds 004.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Check out my bird feeders in the pic above. It is a double set with hinges so the roofs open up and back to fill. The problem with this is--the squirrels--. As anyone who 'feeds' the squirrels knows, they can get into anywhere, and the lids which open easily, are a cinch. I find the little ground/red squirrels sitting inside the boxes with the lid wide open, eatting their little hearts out.
Pretty soon I have no seeds left. I have started putting a brick on top of each lid. It seems to work....so far.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
New Topic Post Reply