Eagle's are hungry!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Roxanne

Eagle's are hungry!

Post by Roxanne »

We just had around 14" of new snow last Tue thru Wed. We spotted this eagle in the ditch by the highway chowing on a road-kill deer, and went home for a camera. He wasn't huge, but very majestic looking. We knew he wasn't going too far from his dinner!

When we returned, there was 4 other bigger eagles across the road in trees watching the whole thing. The eagle chowing down tried a couple times to move the deer carcass around, flapping his wings, and even moved it about 8" while we watched, but none of those pix turned out. :(

So, here's a few pictures. Sorry if you find them kinda gross, but it was very cool to see in person.
Attachments
Eagles 008.jpg
Eagles 006.jpg
barbara

Post by barbara »

That's cool. I don't think we have eagles here, if we do, never seen one, so thats COOL!
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Barb, they are common here, but not easy to photograph, since my camera won't zoom enough to get a good pic from afar, but this guy was absolutely pigging out, and when we were returning with a camera, (half hour later) there was a pick up truck pulled off watching, and He got spooked and flew off. They pulled away, we went on by, turned around a mile down and went right back. The eagle was already back at his meal.
I was very intrigued by the larger birds across the road that appeared to be watching.
Even more wierd is the fact that a fresh deer was hit about 100 yards away, half on the shoulder--half in the ditch.

I do know that eagles prefer food they catch themselves, so maybe this is a matter of survival of the fittest. :P
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

That is cool! I have seen eagles on tv take food from coyotes (I think that's how you spell it) in the winter. I'm sure some frozen dinner is not beyond them, lol. Funny about the fresher carcass up the road, but perhaps he needed it started by someone else to be able to get to the good stuff. Vultures can open their own carcass, but I don't think the eagles would (at least when given the option.).

Great photos! :frosty:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That is cool, Roxanne. Eagles are still pretty scarce around here I probably have only seen one or two my whole life except in a zoo...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Very cool pictures, Rox!! I can't remember ever seeing one like that here.....Thanks for going back for the camera.....Hope the Coot sees this......I am showing Jay in the morning....

Thanks!! :cool:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Shots !!!

Post by oldcoot »

I'm glad Lucy told me about these pictures. Thanks Roxanne and Lucy......OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Glad you liked the pictures! :P
Spider, I bet you are right about the eagles needing something else to "open up" the carcass. There's plenty of Turkey Buzzards around here too. :wink:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I am sooo wanting to get pics of ours!! Great job!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply