Downy vs. Hairy Woodpeckers

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Downy vs. Hairy Woodpeckers

Post by wishiwere »

Here's an example of both. Very similar, but I've found the best way to ID one from the other is the length of the bill. The Hairy has bill as long as it's head, while the Downy has a shorter one. The hairy is also a larger bird than the downy.

The last pic was really neat to capture, although it isn't that clear, it surely gives you an idea of how great they look from above when flying! :D
Attachments
In flight~
In flight~
Hairy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
DSCF1626-copy_edited.jpg (44.92 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Downy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
DSCF3150-copy_edited.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Cool! 8-)
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I am trying to teach my dh how to tell the difference!

Once you have seen a Hairy vs the downy it is very obvious! We have downy's all over the place but the hairy is not a numerouse and seems a little shier about coming to as close.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

In the last few years we've had a ton of woodpeckers, but not sure why. We fed them for over 20 years and all of sudden we started noticing them this past 2 years.

The Downy comes within 6 feet of us, but the other is a bit shyer. Still doesn't seem to mind being photographed from a distance. I'm usually about 35 feet from him when I do get him/her.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

The woodpecker is a beautiful bird no matter thew species

Post by oldcoot »

we have three kinds in our back yard. Most of hem are Downey's, and we do have a few Hairies. Have only seen One red head-, but did manage to make a nice picture of him. We feed our birds the year round and have lot of Chickadees, Tit mouses, CARDINALS, Doves and HOUSE finches, Guess with the warn spell we are having we need to start feeding daily rather than twice a week........

OC reacdy to start Birding again .......
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'll be really HAPPY when I can afford it again, OC! There's just something calming about sitting on the patio and photographing them or enjoying the cooing of waking up to a mourning dove! :D
New Topic Post Reply