hmmmm....good? or bad?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

hmmmm....good? or bad?

Post by eastwood2007 »

When I was looking where to post this, the wildlife forum said for wild things, including insects, good or bad....

not sure how these qualify....

They are the Asian beetle thingies, I think. Not ladybugs....which are friendly....since these things showed up around here a few years ago, I haven't seen any ladybugs....What did you Asian beetles do to my ladybugs!!!! :evil:

So...the question....are these good or bad to have around?

These were in our shop outside...DH picked up a piece of plastic that was laying on the floor and over the door jam.
Attachments
2008_03260024.JPG
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I would say good AND bad. They are a pain when the population gets this high. We used to have them this bad where you couldn't go outside without being bitten by a ton of them, and they would be in the house and all over the siding. Yuck!

The good news is that they do eat a lot of other bugs. The main reason their populations swell is when the aphid population is also high, mainly because people don't use insecticides that much any longer and the pesticides we do use don't last as long. We had several years of really bad ladybug populations but last year we hardly noticed them. Hopefully they won't "bug" you too much this summer.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Ewwww, I love lady bugs but don't like this kind! They bite :evil: They were all over the outside of our house last year and the year before that. They would also get inside and hide out in the light fixtures! I hope they stay away this year... maybe I need to use some insecticide :lol: :lol:

Ginger
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

:lol:

Well, that explains it! We had a huge, gigantic population of aphids last year! And, yes, we do have them in the house and everywhere....the grandkids love them. They catch them and 'set them free' outside.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Oops! I thought they were all bad. We had some about 3 years ago in one window and then ....

plug in, click on, giant sucking sound and Mr. Sears wet/dry vac ate them all.

:o
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I see them as BAD if they start invading the garage and house. If I see swarms of them outside, I let them be. I use that Spectracide Bug Stop to keep them out of the garage. I made the mistake of leaving my sunroof open last fall when I parked in the garage. Cool day...warm garage...even warmer car. They were everywhere in my car. And they STINK.
New Topic Post Reply