Does anyone know what type of hawk?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Does anyone know what type of hawk?

Post by wishiwere »

This is? There were was a horrible ruckus in the big tree out back and when I looked, saw to huge crows dive-bombing this hawk for all they were worth! I thought perhaps it was injured, but after about 1/2 hour it flew south and was beautiful to watch. As long as he doesn't have a song bird in his grasp anyway! :)

Also, we lost about 4-5 bunnies this winter (YEAH~), and wondered if this hawk could be hunting those too? Is it possible?

Sorry the picture is so out of whack. I was about 140 yards from it and it's all open field, so I couldn't get closer without having it fly it I thought.
Attachments
DSCF6466-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF6466-copy_edited.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I don't know what kind of hawk it is, but hawks sure will hunt and eat bunnies! They will also go after small rodents, snakes and small animals such as kittens :evil:

Ginger
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Not sure what kind it is, but it's a beatiful bird. About the crows, they have a very strong dislike of hawks and owls. They will harrass them endlessly.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

It was a sight to see. Just wish I had been able to get closer to get a better view of it. That and been ready when he/she flew to get better pics. I was messing with the tripod and scope she took off :(
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Redtail, no doubt. He would be eating your rabbits - not so much songbirds.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Interesting! They are apparently in this area, but my book says 'small rodents' so perhaps they aren't the culprits (or assistants) taking care of the rabbit explosion of the last couple years! Thanks!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Take a look at the juvenile kestrel on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kestrel.
It is a small hawk, smaller than a chicken. The adult has a longer tail.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Another possible. It's so hard to tell from that bad blow-up! :roll:

Is that a bar across it's chest do you think? That's the thing that has been stumping me. I can't see anything listed about that in any species I have on hawks :( So bothersome when you can't find out what a bird is and it's n your yard. I'm pretty sure this is what was flying high last year against the sun and I couldn't get a good pic of it either!

Dern birds! Why can't they come close for a few pics, you know? :)

This pic shows him/her in comparison with 2 large crows that were going after him!
Attachments
DSCF6471.jpg
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

It does look like a Red Tailed to me, but without seeing the underside of his tail I can't tell for sure, and if he/she is not an adult the tail won't be red yet. Does it look like my avatar to you? My avatar is a Red Tailed Hawk, and they will eat small rabbits, I have seen it with my own two eyes :o I also know of someone who had a kitten carried off (glad I did not see that :evil: )by a Red Tail. The ravens do not like the hawks and they will gang up on them to chase them away from their nesting/feeding sites.

Ginger
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Okay then! I did a search on the site that viktoria sent and I think the Red Tailed is the one it is! Look at the last little pic down on the very bottom of the page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tailed_Hawk

You guys are so good at this! Thanks! Hate when I have a pic of a bird and can't ID it! Like owning a plant and not knowing what it is! :) Thanks everyone!
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Have fun watching it! They are truly amazing birds and I love watching them fly and soar over my house. I am not sure but I am pretty sure there is a pair nesting in one of the old trees on my land :D

Ginger
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

That's what I'm wondering, Ginger. I'm almost sure this is the one or similar that has been around the house for a couple years. We've got an open field about 80 acreas surrounded by trees/woodsy areas, ponds and so on, so there are a lot of snakes, rodents and so on. It's a great place for him to hunt I'm sure.

Of course, progress is moving in on us and them too now :( Hate to see that part of change happening!
Queala

Post by Queala »

Hey Jane,
Could be a red shoulder hawk. We have a lot of these down here and they are about the same size as a crow. They are close to a red tail hawk also. To be real sure you need to see the underside as they fly. Red shoulder has a narrower and striped tail from the underside.
Mike
庭を楽しむ

Mike's Hosta List
Latitude 42° 0' 6.57" Longitude -83° 20' 44.214"
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yes, I know there are Red-shouldered around here, Mike. I really didn't get a good look at it flying as it was flying south at noon and couldn't get a good luck. It's hard, b/c I keep seeing all that white and that's what stood out to me when I was watching it through the scope. It was a bit larger than the crows too. THey are behind it in the tree in that group pic, so it's deceiving the sizes, but was definitely larger than the crows, I'd say a good 4-6 inches. But man, were they mad at it! You'd have thought they were protecting their nest or something!

I'll hope it comes closer and/or I'm prepared to get better pics. Stupid me, the contraption to connect the camera and tripod were there, I just didn't see it. Something about this fog I've been the past few months. :roll:

But I'm ready now! I hope :)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Definitely a Red-tailed.

Here is a pic of one of my Red-shouldered.
Attachments
2007_1224decemberpics0025 (Small).JPG
2007_1224decemberpics0025 (Small).JPG (46.95 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:lol: All I have to say is he/she better come back and stand still while I get a better photo! :D Darn it! I hate when they fly through and don't take the proper time for a good photoshoot! What were they thinking anyway! :)

Thanks for all the help. I noticed there is a like phase of the red-tailed too. Maybe he was molting? Is this the time of year they do, do you think? He looked awfully rough in that blow up, like he might be.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

The red tails have a light phase and a dark phase. From your first photo there is no doubt in my mind it is a red tail. We saw them all the time while bird watching every weekend. :)

The broad wing will sit lower in the branches and even on fence posts. You can get quite close to them too. I walked right under one, haltered a horse, and walked back under him, with us watching each other. He never moved (except his head). I could have reached him with a ladder. Broad wing hawks look similar to red tails too. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I remember a couple years ago we had something flying really high, but could never get a pic of it. These fly lower and when they go by you either hear the cry of I get that shadow that comes across my desk and I instantly know it's him by the slow shadow and how large it is. Eerie....
New Topic Post Reply