Pileated for Claudia

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Pileated for Claudia

Post by Pandora »

Claudia, you have amazing pictures.

Here you are. We have Downey, Hairy, Red Bellied and Pileated. The Pileated have stayed back in the woods until last year and now we see a pair quite frequently.

I love their call, sounds like a monkey to me. I tell DH we live in the jungle. :D

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Love it, love it, love it!!!!! I am sooo jealous you have a photo! They are so wild sounding and so bigit is unreal! I will get a photo eventually. A few weeks back I wasn't paying attention while I was out looking for birds. Was looking up...should have been looking DOWN! There was one like 15 feet in front of me sittting on the ground...as I saw it and brought the camera up it flew away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was devasted for about 2 days.

Thanks for sharing your great pic! :D
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I'm so jealous! I've only seen one of these fellas...it was inthe Upper Peninsula and he was flying across the road.

Thanks so much for posting this pic.....very cool!....Pam :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW!!! We have them here, but you don't see them that often......Excellent shot!!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Nice Picture! My mom's had them in the behind her. She's above a river and they seem to frequent there! As you say, you can't mistake their calls! They are so cool to watch!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply