Visitor

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Visitor

Post by Herb »

Insects don't often sit around for long so they're difficult to photograph, especially very small ones.

I was taking some pictures of Forget-me-nots & didn't even know that this insect was there. I only noticed it after I'd I downloaded the pictures onto my computer. I wonder what species it is?
Attachments
FMN and visitor.jpg
Kas

Post by Kas »

That, my dear, is a narcissus fly! Don't be fooled by how cute and fuzzy they are. They lay their eggs at the base of the daffodil flower stalk and the lava eat just the developing flower for next year. Very, very, very irritating. Kill it! :evil:

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Kas wrote: Very, very, very irritating. Kill it! :evil:

Kas
Good thing you caught it on camera! Looks like it was trying to be sneaky! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Herb

Post by Herb »

I'd like to get rid of it/them, but there are two problems.

First, you need a magnifying glass just to see one (the picture is a macro & is several times the actual life size, and

The City of Victoria is proposing to ban the use of pesticides in peoples' gardens.

Maybe I'd better lay in a big supply while I still can - our apples are always plagued by Codling Moth & I value them even more than our daffodils because they're Bramleys Seedlings & they make by far the best apple pie in the world..
New Topic Post Reply