Nest ID

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Deb118

Nest ID

Post by Deb118 »

Does anyone have ANY idea what made this nest? DH just discovered it tonight. It is about 15 feet up in a pine tree. I'll be watching it to see what comes and goes. If you can.... zoom in on the hole. :eek:
Attachments
nest.jpg
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

So... have you seen any comings & goings yet? I am curious too and wonder what it could possibly be. Haven't ever seen a nest like that before.
Jeanne
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

It might also be easier if we knew your location. There are around 2,500 species of birds throughout the world. So if we could narrow it down a tad... :P
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

How big is it? I enlarged it and I swear that's an eyeball in there! You sure it's a nest? :o :lol:

Seriously, is it some type of swallow maybe? How big, where are you and is it in a forest type, yard, what type of tree?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Looks like a bird in there, but my guess would be a tree rat (aka squirrel).
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Jeanne, the only thing I've seen go in and out are swallows. But they take over ANY nest. :x
Claudia, I'm in NW Indiana
Jane, you see it too!!!! :eek: Isn't that freaky???? When I brought it up on the computer and zoomed in on it, I got the chills. :o I'm guestimating its about 1 foot tall.... bout 1 foot in diamiter. It's a pine out in the middle of our circle drive. I was thinking maybe a tree rat too, but out on such a flimsy limb like that?
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh yes, foot long and wide, lazily built. TREE RAT! Maybe that's a marble he collected, do you think? :lol:

Our squirrels last year, built a nest in a limb that had fallen and was snagged on a tree crook, and lived in and raised little guy(s) I believe. The nest fell out in the first big fall storm. Of course the branch is still there. About 2-3 inches wide and 10 foot long. JUST waiting to fall on my head as it's over one of the hosta gardens. Right over the memorial garden. One day sooner than later I'll be laid to rest with the girls under it! :eek:

Or perhaps it was a winter nest for the squirrels and the tree swallows have taken up in it? Does seem a little deep for a squirrel around these parts.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

:eek: That's just creepy!! There's an eyeball in there!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Looks like a bird in there to me. Could be an old nest something built and a bird, maybe a sparrow(?) took it over. Squirrel nest maybe. We have lots of these in the woods around us. At least thats what I always thought made those nests.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Orioles make nests that are similar but I am not sure on how big they are. :roll:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie

Post by Annie »

I think that is way to big or an Oriole. I've seen those before :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply