Indigo Bunting

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Indigo Bunting

Post by nanny_56 »

Just had to post a couple pics! :P
Attachments
DSCF7060 (Small).jpg
DSCF7060 (Small).jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 903 times
DSCF7059 (Small).jpg
DSCF7058 (Small).jpg
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

A few new pics
Attachments
DSCF7152 (Small).jpg
DSCF7150 (Small).jpg
DSCF7148 (Small).jpg
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Great photos! You really captured the metallic blue on him. I don't know how you are capturing these little birds with that camera, I'm having trouble with the slow ones!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Oh wow!! That bird is beautiful!!! I have never seen one before, only in books. We don't get fancy birds like that this far north...i sure wish we did!

nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Thanks!

Spider, These are through the(dirty) window and you do have to be quick to spot them, since they don't hang around long. Lots of the shots are deleted! :lol:

A piece of advice I read on another forum has helped a lot., now that I am trying to use it. That is to focus on the eye for birds. It is not 100% all the time...but I seem to be getting better shots now more often!

But from what I've seen you are doing great!
Claudia
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Thanks, I'll try that on the next heron or sandhill (they were right next to the curb on the driveway today, just watching the cars go by.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Isn't he a neat little guy??
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love these birds! How long did they stay around for you? One time, a few years back, there was a bunch that landed here. I mean a flock.....First time I had seen them......Un real! I called DH on the phone to tell him about them. When they left, that was it.....never seen them again......and I hear that a neighbor down a few doors saw them.....not me....

Thanks for sharing!! :D
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

They are here during the summer for breeding...not sure exactly when they will leave. Probably start leaving around August/Sept. We have lots of the around here, but just the one coming to the yard, right now anyway!

Can't imagine what a flock of them would look like...that would be a sight to behold! :D
Claudia
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I so love these little guys. One time I posted pictures on a bird forum and some guy from South America accused me of photoshopping them. :o Thank goodness everyone else in the forum stood up for me. :lol:

LG, the indigos usually made an appearance at my house around mid April and then were usually gone sometime in late August.

Carol and Claudia, I bought and use a camo tent to take pictures of birds... although right now its still in Illinois in the horse trailer. :roll:

I would have as many as 10 at a time of them in the yard in Illinois and they were a sight!

Here's a couple I took in 2006 of Indigos.

"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply