My Outing...

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

My Outing...

Post by Muffy »

We live about 1/2 an hour from WildLife Prairie Park. It's located in Central Illinois. It's a great place to visit. Here are a few pics I took.
Here is the elk they use in parades
A Red Fox
An Elk
Mama Buffalo & calf
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Great pictures. Ya know, its such a shame. I only lived an hour from the wildlife park and I never went there.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

My GD's would love that...well, I would too! Looks like fun!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh my fav place to go! I LOVE the Wildlife Prairie Park :D

We will have to go one day when I can get around a bit better huh?!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Yes, it's a very neat place to visit. Basically it's a hike in the woods with all sorts of creatures in natural habitats. Sometimes you have to look really hard to find the critters in the hiding places. The place was built by hand in the late 60's by those interested in nature and the environment. Many recycled, donated and found materials were used. It wasn't open to the public until the late 70's. I think it was started with a heard of bison. They have elk, wolves, coyote, cougars, bears, and all sorts of little creatures too, like skunks! :o

Also a rehab center where you can see injured or orphaned animals being raised until they can be returned to the wild.

My nieces and nephews are coming into town in July and we are planning a day at Wildlife Prairie Park. It's been 3 or 4 years since I've been there.

It's really a gem here in central Illinois, we are fortunate to have it. It was private for many years, until someone died and it was turned over to the state. So far it has remained open, but it has been threatened with closure due to budget constraints. Hopefully that won't happen.

www.wildlifeprairiestatepark.org
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply