Who is this?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Who is this?

Post by wishiwere »

Does anyone, or can anyone ID this bird from the bad photo? He/she has just started to visit and I'm really intriqued with it, as it comes when I'm putting out feed and seems to not be frightened as it lands to eat when I'm at the next feeder, 4 feet away. But it's also so quick to eat and run to the old tree behind me to open the sunflower I assume, that I have a hard time getting him/her in a focused shot. Any help?

It's more slender than a house wren or even the finch, has a long bill (about 3/4 inch I'd say), with a black cap, and white face/throat and belly. I think it's actually black and white, but in a tree or like in this picture, it appears bluer than black? Any guesses?
Attachments
DSCF7172-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF7172-copy_edited.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Who is this?

Post by Chris_W »

That particular bird is called a nuthatch. They are fun to watch as they often go up and down and around the sides of trees like they don't care which way is up or down.

A friend of mine calls them "Klingons" the way they cling to the trees :roll: :lol:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

NUTHATCH? :cool: Hm....I could not find it anywhere! THank you so much CHRIS!
BTW...the check is in the mail! REALLY! They took out mailboxes out the other day and it lay on the ditch one day, then they put them up, but where we could'nt get to them, without a lot of trouble, then I finally got on my bike and got down there, only to realize it was saturday (after delivery) so I didn't leave it! Finally went to the post office instead monday. What a fiasco to just get out mail! UGH! Nearly got run over the last 2 days getting it, as it's about 40 feet from a busy intersection where they've got the road closed signs and people are NOT happy they have to detour, so I think they are looking to run over anyone in there way! :eek: SCARY!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

That particular one is a White-breasted Nuthatch.

I like the name Klingons though!! :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

You two are great for ID'ing him! Man, this is so cool! 2 new species to add to our list! The other is a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher! Very pretty little bird. Neither we've seen here before, and with all the construction of late (last 3 years) we've seen a decline in others, and were worried. Like Blue Jays! Oh my! Used to get them, a lot of them and now none :( Sad really.... They used to tease our house cats all the time at the windows!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

If you pay attention you'll find there is a "rat pack" of birds. The white breasted nuthatch hangs with the chickadee, titmouse, and the downy woodpecker. :D
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Funny you mention the downy, b/c I told stan he flys like him and lands like him too! Haven't seen the titmouse, but do have the chickadees and they've been around more too lately. Hm....interesting. Guess I should mix up some suet! it's been so hot I've not done that this summer! Will do now! Thanks for the reminder!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I get this birds, too Jane......Cute aren't they? :cool:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I was looking at the pic and thinking how did Chris know that was a nuthatch? It really didn't look like a nuthatch to me. :hmm: I was looking at the wrong bird. :lol:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oops! Sorry Pat, there is rarely only one bird in my pics. Where there is one, there are 2 or 3 or 7! :D He does blend in with the runway a bit there! I think he's here to stay as he shows up everytime I'm out there now. Doesn't mind me getting to close which I thought was weird. Then again, I've still got that cardinal that follows me around the house and yard. The other day I was in the basement doing laundry and he came into the egress window well to peck at the window. I guess he watches for the lights and follows me around that way. Strange guy. HE's been doing the window pecking on 4 sides for hm...nearly 5 months now!
New Topic Post Reply